Topic: 1939 Mercury Speedometer and Trunk Mat

stevetammym6    -- 07-14-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  I need to remove the Speedometer from my 1939 Mercury and send it off for re-furbishing. Any experience in removing this from the forum would be great.

Also would like to know if anyone has replaced their 1939 Town Sedan Trunk Mat. I cannot seem to find any reproductions. I have heard that the Mat from a 41 will work. The same goes for the inner board material over the fenders? Will a 41 work for those.

supereal    -- 07-14-2010 @ 8:50 AM
  Unscrew the cable from the speedo head, and pull the light sockets out of the way. The unit is held to the dash with small screws, and an investment in a special screwdriver that holds the screws will make replacement much easier. As for the mat, our Merc expert TomO may be able to help. I see mats listed for 41-48 Mercs, but nothing earlier. Drake shows Ford mats (81A) for 38-40. You can ask at 800/221-3673. Most of these mats are pricey, so I'd be sure to question about fit without trimming.

TomO    -- 07-15-2010 @ 9:42 AM
  The complete instrument cluster comes out with just a few nuts. This makes it easier to safely remove the speedometer. The speedometer face is slightly larger than the opening and it has to be in a certain position to clear everything. Disconnect the battery and mark all wires before removing the cluster.

I don't know if the 41 trunk mat will fit the Town sedan. I have a 40 coupe and used the 41 coupe trunk mat and front floor mat in my car. The fit is barely acceptable. The mat is cut short on the sides near the trunk opening and leaves about 1/2" of trunk floor exposed on each side.

The front floor mat fits better, but I had to adjust the cutouts for the pedals.

The trunk sides cardboard can be cut and fitted by a good upholstery shop. They should be fastened in place with small screws and finishing washers. I doubt that the 41 reproductions would fit in your sedan. The slope of the back end of the 39 / 40 Mercury is different from the slope of the 41-48 Ford / Mercury.

Another good source for information would be the V-8 Club 39-40 Adviser, Dan Krehbiel. His contact information is available to all V-8 Club members.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-15-10 @ 9:46 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1549