Topic: 1949 Mercury Fuel Pump

1962300    -- 02-06-2022 @ 6:08 PM
  Hello,

Stock flathead fuel pump was replaced some 10 years ago. I stupidly let the car sit for the last 7 years. The fuel pump is now not pumping. I suspect the diaphragm is dried up. Are these pumps easy to rebuild? Or is it best to buy a new one, as todays fuels may have destroyed the innards of the pump?

Thanks!

carcrazy    -- 02-06-2022 @ 10:00 PM
  You can get a new one from MAC's Auto Parts for about $60.00. They are claimed to be compatible with modern fuels with up to 10% Ethanol.

TomO    -- 02-07-2022 @ 7:41 AM
  If your pump is a dual diaphragm fuel pump, have it rebuilt by Charley Schwendler in NY cas5845@yahoo.com

If diaphragm is bad your flex line should be replaced. They deteriorate on the inside, so when I replace a fuel pump, I also replace the flex line and the push rod.

Replacing the diaphragm is a fairly easy job to do on the single action fuel pump, if the other parts in your fuel pump are in good condition. Your fuel pump valves may be covered in varnish from the fuel and not work as well. Back in the day a kit included new linkage with pivots, valves, spring, diaphragm and gaskets, now you just get the diaphragm and the gaskets.

The most important steps are: scribe a mark across the side of the flange with a file, so you can orient the parts correctly when you reassemble them. When you assemble the parts, turn all screws in until the lock washers are being touched by the screws and the pump body. Then operate the pump arm about 10 times to seat the diaphragm. With the pump arm in the relaxed position tighten the screws in a cross pattern (left center, right center).

Tom

1962300    -- 02-07-2022 @ 8:15 AM
  All great advice! Thank you!

sarahcecelia    -- 03-14-2022 @ 4:03 PM
  If you have any mechanical ability at all; This is a pretty straight forward, easy rebuild. Just take your time and watch where everything goes as you take it apart; then just reverse the procedure. Make notes and drawing on paper if you care to help with the reassembly
The Basics are , It has a diaphragm, and 2 poppet valves in it; one is "IN" from the tank, and one is "OUT" to the carb.

If you have a smart friend that has "any mechanical ability;" have him watch as you take it apart, and then he'll remember what you don't; when you put it back together. Believe me; you don't have to be a real auto mechanic to do this! (It's about the easiest repair one can do!!) You'll be proud of yourself when you are done!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-14-22 @ 4:07 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=15472