Topic: '51 Questions

len47merc    -- 08-16-2021 @ 11:45 AM
  Guys - still looking to get back into the game after letting the '47 go and have an opportunity on this '51. Paint's been redone as has the interior. I've yet to put a hand on the car but do have a neighbor on vacation there whose relative owns it (same individual I purchased the '47 from sight unseen, only pics).

Those of you that know me know my evolution from restorationist to preservationist and as such this car interests me from a Rouge class Running Gear perspective. Also the first car I remember my Father owning in 1959 (when I was 3 years old) was a '51 Mercury. I can see some warts in the pic of the engine compartment from this perspective but am not familiar with 8CM engines (only 59As and 59ABs) and am curious as to whether anyone can advise me of where I'd need to take this engine compartment to reasonably get it back 'to only original once' Rouge status (and not over-restored). If this is possible I may take the car and secure the necessary documentation to research the same . If not I'll make a judgement call whether I want it simply for a driver or not.

53,800 miles on the OD. 2nd owner, inherited from original owner, he's a car guy not appreciative (but certainly respective) of originality.

Thanks in advance - S

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-16-21 @ 11:52 AM

Kens 36    -- 08-16-2021 @ 12:47 PM
  Steve,

It is very hard to judge from a few photos, but this Mercury seems to have potential. Of course, I'm a little partial to 1951 Mercurys.

It looks possible that the paint under the hood is original. That is a plus. As you know, you must have 90% of the engine compartment/running gear original for a Rouge award. The small amount of wiring shown looks decent - you are allowed to replace "the minimum" needed for safety and performance. You are allowed to replace those hoses, belts, and battery with the correct ones. The battery is mounted backwards and the negative cable looks questionable and is not original. The spark plug boots are incorrect, so you have an issue with the spark plug wires.

I'm a bit troubled that the dip stick is painted engine color. Does this imply that the engine was painted? I'm also concerned that some of the head bolts do not look original in the photos, implying that the engine may have been taken apart. Rebuild?

I suppose that you can see that the fuel line to the carb is not correct.

Even if the car does not stand up to the sharp eyes of the Rouge judges, you may want to take a chance. You would be hard pressed to find a better cruiser than a 49-51 Mercury. We have driven our thousands of miles and totally enjoy it. The overdrive should make it float down the road!

Good luck.

Ken

TomO    -- 08-17-2021 @ 7:07 AM
  Steve, I agree with Ken about the comfort of the 49-51 Mercury. The cars have lots of room and and are easy to drive.

If you buy the car, the first thing to do is change the battery cables to 6 volt cables. The current cables look to be 12V.

Don't buy a car for the possibility of a trophy, if it doesn't get the trophy you will never be happy with it.. Buy a car to enjoy and drive it. Consider a trophy a bonus.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=15076