Topic: Electrical component sources

flatcreeker    -- 08-08-2021 @ 9:10 AM
  I am refreshing some of the under-hood electricals for general reliability improvement on my mostly original '39 Merc fordor. Have some hinky starting issues which mysteriously show up occasionally and then disappear just as mysteriously. I have been checking/cleaning all start/charge circuit connections and decided to replace what appear to be the original heavy cables. Also plan to replace starter button and relay (solenoid). Looking for best sources for such components. I am new to the old Ford/Mercs. Hear lots of complaints about Chinese components but that is likely difficult to avoid no matter which counter I go to.

Absent any recommendations to the contrary, I'll likely be going to NAPA and Carpenter.

Thanks to all!!

1931 Flamingo    -- 08-08-2021 @ 2:25 PM
  C&G in CA , great service, great people and I think fair prices.
Paul in CT

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-08-2021 @ 2:45 PM
  hi
try SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE for ORIGINAL parts, your best bet,
new old stock GENUINE FORD PARTS,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 08-10-2021 @ 7:41 AM
  If Southside obsolete does not have the starter button, buy the reproduction from Dennis Carpenter, he is the closest vendor to you and is probably the manufacturer of the 39 Mercury starter button.

If you have an original button ( stainless steel face with the word "starter" stamped in sharply), I would remove it and check that it is making a good grounding connection to the dash. Next I would check that the wire from the solenoid has 6 volts on it and is making good connection to the starter button.

Some reproduction wiring harness manufacturers just crimp the bullets and ring terminals on the ends of the wire. It is a good idea to solder both ends of the solenoid pick wire to ensure a good connection, if they are just crimped.

Tom

flatcreeker    -- 08-16-2021 @ 1:46 PM
  Thanks for the input. I found a NOS on ebay and await delivery.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=15049