Topic: 1947 Mercury interior

Jone    -- 07-02-2021 @ 7:57 PM
  I have an early 1947 Mercury Coupe, which I was told that the mileage of 28,000 was original. The car is black and the seats are tan pleats material with black leatherette trim. The door panels and rear side panels match. Did Mercury offer such an interior at that time? There is no evidence of other material beneath the seat covers.

TomO    -- 07-03-2021 @ 8:41 AM
  I cannot find any information that would support your interior. The early 47 Mercury would have the same interior options as the 1946 Mercury .

The 1946 Mercury had either broadcloth or bedford cord interior. The color would be either gray-green or rust. The instrument panel was painted with a metallic paint in a color that was coordinated with the upholstery (metallic tan or metalic gray green).

Here is a link to the 1946 brochure with drawings of the interiors.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Mercury/1946_Mercury/1946%20Mercury%20Brochure/image5.html

Tom

len47merc    -- 07-16-2021 @ 10:07 AM
  Tom is correct - the interior seats and door panels are not original. The front floor mat and rear carpet do not appear to be either as the front floor mats of this vintage Mercury had carpet inserts to match the rear carpet on both the driver and passenger sides, and the rear carpet did not have stitched on borders around the perimeter as appears to be the case under the front left of the driver's seat. Additionally the original floor mats lay flush and without 'wrinkles' over the driveshaft well in the middle and no repops for the Mercury are made. All repops are basically universal, do not have the carpet inserts and always display wrinkles in multiple areas of the front floorboard, especially over the well. Original front floor mats are very thick, stiff and non-pliable whereas repops are rather flexible, soft and do not settle flat very well even after years of service and heat. Lastly if the front floor mat were original it would take a virtual miracle for it not to have cracked and/or crumbled on a driver that had proper maintenance done on the master cylinder and brake fluid.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-16-21 @ 10:48 AM

Jone    -- 07-19-2021 @ 6:44 AM
  The front floor mat was purchased from Dennis Carpenter, simply to have a floor
mat. The rear carpet was purchased from Lebaron Bonnie, and was suppose to be correct. As for the seats and door panels; the door panels have the chrome strips exactly like the picture in the brochure except a different material. Since this is a transitional car from '46 to '47, could it be possible that they tried a different fabric? You have said that you also have an early '47 Mercury, what seat pattern does your car have? My car is a driver, not a show car.

len47merc    -- 07-19-2021 @ 9:44 AM
  My '47 is not a show car/trailer queen it is a Rouge Car/driver and won EFV8 awards for originality on the running gear and interior multiple times. It was completed in mid-January of '47 and contains fundamentally all '46 attributes. It was more than a bit unique in that it sat under a tarp in a windowless pole barn in northern Michigan for over 40 years which is what preserved the interior fabric.

TomO gave a great reference document for your review. As well, recommend you purchase the 1941-1948 Ford Book (available here on this site) - it was my bible as I was bringing the '47 out of its ~40 year slumber. I will review it tonight and give you the specific reference to the interior pattern.

My earlier comments were not intended to offend - I perceived you were asking whether the car could possibly still have the original interior given its low mileage of 28,000 which is in itself impressive. What you have looks very nice - a few more pics of the car's exterior and engine compartment are always welcomed on this site.

Back with you later. (EDIT - remembered I had some pics here at work of the interior so attached them)

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-20-21 @ 10:32 AM

Jone    -- 07-20-2021 @ 9:48 AM
  No offense taken. I am more concerned about the seats and door panels because I am trying to sell the car and the question has been raised as to the originality of the seat pattern. I have had the seats out and there is no evidence of any seat coverings under the current covering. I have not had the door panels removed.

len47merc    -- 07-20-2021 @ 10:30 AM
  My apologies I forgot to check on this last night when I got home but will do so tonight. Take a look at how the sides and bottom of the front seat in my '47 look in terms of the fabric and compare it to the image you sent of yours and the leather and you should see an obvious difference there.

Also if you can download the manual TomO recommended it should have images in there of all fabric offerings for 46 and 47. I'll try to make a copy of that from the 41 to 48 Ford book tonight and post it as well.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-20-21 @ 10:34 AM

len47merc    -- 07-20-2021 @ 7:07 PM
  Here you go

Steve

TomO    -- 07-21-2021 @ 7:16 AM
  Jone, Your best answer as to the originality of your interior is "I don't know". That would be an honest answer as you have not had the car since new.

I have never seen an original seat with the pattern shown on your seats. I also have never seen a dashboard painted black from the factory.

As far as no other seat covering under the present covering, my 1940 Mercury has no signs of a previous upholstery covers under the current covering and I know that it has been reupholstered in a material close to the original material and in a pattern like the original pattern.

Tom

fsacht    -- 07-27-2021 @ 11:39 AM
  My ,42 Mercury Fordor Town Sedan is virtually identical in fabric color, pattern, pleats arm rest covering and door trim panels. Mine are original unrestored.

fsacht    -- 07-27-2021 @ 12:49 PM
  Correction to seat to my '42 Merc sew pattern. Front and rear seat backs have three verticle ribs with four ivory plastic buttons on each half.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=14970