Topic: 53 Monterey questions, disc brakes. hesitation

bigd1101    -- 06-14-2021 @ 3:26 AM
  Hi folks, as a new owner of a 1953 Monterey, with a flathead V-8, I'm somewhat familiar with those engines, as I owned a 46 Super Deluxe a few years back, but I'm a tad rusty on memory being 69 now.

The brakes on this car are good, but not power brakes and a single reservoir master. I'm really thinking about converting the fronts to disc. Never tried that but like the reviews. I'm also thinking a power brake double master to go with it. Or can I get away with just the single master, which is quite new.

Has anyone done this and is it worth it? To me brakes are #1 in safety and I'm sure you'll all agree, next to a good front end steering set up.

The second question: I did some minor tune up.....cleaned the spark plugs, the rotor tip, new clear fuel filter, fresh gas (high test) as the car on the way home from picking it up (40 miles away), died twice , but only at low speed start out. It's running a bit rough, and when you rev the engine, hesitates. On the other side, the car cruised great at higher speeds, but like I said, when you stepped on it, it hesitated. Timing off? Coil? Two barrel Holly carb problem?

Anyway, the body and interior are show car grade.

This message was edited by bigd1101 on 6-14-21 @ 4:51 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-14-2021 @ 12:41 PM
  HI
REMOVE the air cleaner, check your spray jets if they are working,
if the car sat for a long time, the EXCELERATOR pump may not working or not very well,
if you work the throttle rod and look down the carb with a flash light you should see the jets spraying gas down
the carb, do this with engine off,
I had this problem on a 57 Chev and it cleared up after driving the car
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

trjford8    -- 06-14-2021 @ 5:52 PM
  In regards to your brakes I think the simple addition of a booster will help your problem.

TomO    -- 06-15-2021 @ 7:45 AM
  You cannot use a single master cylinder with disc brakes in front and drum brakes in the back. The non power brakes on a 53 Mercury will lock up all 4 wheels with the proper shoes and adjustments. Power brakes will make it easier to stop. Stay away from the Chinese shoes that are being sold as replacements, they are not consistent in stopping power. I had a set on the front of my 53 Lincoln and it would pull to the left sometime and to the right other times, any hard stop would jerk the wheel out of your hands. I went back to the original shoes and the car stops straight now.

Disc brakes may stop the car in a slightly shorter distance, but when any modification is done to the braking system, you can introduce new problems. All kits are not designed the same and some are dangerous after installation.

Your hesitation could be the accelerator pump or a bad vacuum advance. Does your Mercury still have the teapot carburetor? if not that could also contribute to the hesitation.

Tom

bigd1101    -- 06-15-2021 @ 8:00 AM
  Tom, sent you pm. The car has a two barrel Holly carb. Not sure what the teapot is.......

This message was edited by bigd1101 on 6-15-21 @ 9:38 AM

TomO    -- 06-16-2021 @ 8:35 AM
  Here is an image of a Holley Concentric carburetor (tea pot) for a 1952-1953 Mercury. To test for an accelerator pump failure, you should see 2 streams of fuel coming out of the upper part going to the throttle body when you operate the accelerator linkage. If you do not see strong streams, the accelerator pump need to be repaired.

Your PM had a link to a Chevy power booster and I do not know if it would work on your car. The Treadle Vac units for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury show up on E-Bay occasionally and there are services that rebuild them.

TRJFORD8 might be able to tell you which more modern power booster would work on your 53.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=14919