Topic: Rewiring 49 Merc

saffron400    -- 05-30-2020 @ 2:05 PM
  Hello, I just received a factory restoration wiring kit for my 49 Merc. I can’t seem to find how any documentation on how the wires are routed to the tailights etc. my car has the original headliner so I really don’t want to mess with it. I’ve removed the driver side floor trim and sadly do not see any signs of wiring and the ds front kick panel won’t come off. Any ideas?

TomO    -- 05-31-2020 @ 9:20 AM
  Closed cars had the tail light wiring go along the driver's side of the roof. If you let me know the body style, I can copy and post the drawing from the Overhaul Manual.

There appears to be connectors at the upper left corner of the dash and in the trunk area, so you could disconnect every thing in the harness and use it a fishline to pull the new harness in. You may have loosed the headliner in several places to do this and that could lead to damage to the 70 year old material.

You could also look at the wiring going to the dome light and the dome light switch to see if the insulation on that wiring is in good enough shape to leave it in the car.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-31-20 @ 9:21 AM

saffron400    -- 05-31-2020 @ 9:41 AM
  TomO thank you for the reply! I would be grateful for the wiring diagram. I have the 9CM 4dr sedan Sport Sedan 74 is the model. Which overhaul manual do you have? I purchased a wiring diagram but it does not show the path. I was thinking to start by tracing backwards from tail lights. thanks again for any help you can provide.

TomO    -- 06-01-2020 @ 7:47 AM
  My manual was provided to dealers in 1949 and updated to 1951 and I believe that it is a reprint. This drawing should help you route the wire looms. Print it out so you can have it in the car with you.

I suggest that you check the condition of the wires to the dome light so you won't have to mess with the headliner. After 70 years it is probably very fragile.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-1-20 @ 7:50 AM

saffron400    -- 06-03-2020 @ 9:05 AM
  TomO, I can’t thank you enough for this!! I have an overhaul manual but it definitely does not have this info I also have the rebuild manual if you need any of that info I’d be happy to help! I’m hopefully that I can leave the existing GB in place the headliner is in near perfect condition surprisingly. I’ll post some pics as I dig in deeper. Again thank you! -monica

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=13873