Topic: Body patch available??

1939mercury    -- 10-07-2019 @ 4:25 PM
  I cant seem to find any body patch panels for my 39 merc as you can see it isnt in the best of shape can i get repair panels for any of this or do I have to get to customizing??
Would ford panels work here if so where do you buy them?

TomO    -- 10-08-2019 @ 7:21 AM
  Bradley is the only supplier of 1939 / 1940 floor pans and I do not know of anyone else that supplies patch panels for these cars.

http://bradleyfloorpans.com/mercury.0.html

There have been complaints about his slow delivery.

After looking at your photos, I would start looking for replacement doors or maybe a parts car. I would also make sure that the frame is solid.

Here is a photo of my Mercury.

Tom

1939mercury    -- 10-08-2019 @ 10:02 AM
  Thanks Tom0 that is a beautiful car you have there! I love that color! I think im going to try to fix these doors and if that dosent turn out well I'll try to find replacements. I am hoping to find someone with a 4 door sedan that can tell me where the post in the center mounts at the bottom I have to replace/repair the bottoms on mine that and repairing where the 2 front doors mount to the cab as mine are both rotten do you know if there is a repair panel for that?

Barney    -- 10-08-2019 @ 7:02 PM
  I have a Mac's and a Dennis Carpenter catalog. Both show floor pans. However, they are Ford; I can't help but believe Ford and Merc would be identical, but don't take that to the bank.
Barney

1939mercury    -- 10-09-2019 @ 5:25 AM
  Ive ordered catalogs from both I cant seem to find any companys that sell many parts for these old Mercurys my main concern is door pillars but I cant seem to find any for the old fords either. I think i can make the rest of the patches and may end up making all of them

trjford8    -- 10-10-2019 @ 11:52 AM
  I think the best advice I could give would be to look around for a better body. It will save you tons of time(and money) and the body parts for those Mercs are not that easy to find. Get on Craigslist and start looking. Those old Merc 4 doors with decent bodies show up as projects periodically and you will be much happier with the results of your restoration.

1939mercury    -- 10-10-2019 @ 5:16 PM
  Thank you for your advice and if this wasnt my granddads car I would probably do that but I feel like if I replace the body there isnt much left of HIS car and if I have replace to much then I may as well just use it as yard art. Again if it wasnt his car I would do that or have started off with a better car to begin with I have a 48 F1 and it has bad front fenders so I'll probably just replace them but I want to replace as little on the car as I can.

TomO    -- 10-14-2019 @ 4:45 PM
  Here are the photos that you asked for. Be aware that the "B" pillar on the sedan coupe is different than the 4-door.

Tom

1939mercury    -- 11-21-2019 @ 4:31 PM
  Thank you tom!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=13290