Topic: 1941 Mercury

32hoke    -- 05-28-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  We have a 1941 Mercury four door that has a Columbia rear end. The car is pretty much disassembled and I'm trying to decide what to do with the car. I think it's all there and the body is straight, but again, it is apart. Does anyone out there have an estimate on value for the car--either to sell as a lot or to part out? The interior kit is new in the box and the radiator has been through the shop. Does the Columbia rear end add much to the value?
Thanks for your help.

ford38v8    -- 05-28-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  32hoke, No offense intended, but what you have is commonly referred to as a "basket case." This is the descriptive term used to describe such a car, and is self explanatory also in its value to a knowledgeable buyer.

You are correct in that many potential buyers would zone in on the Columbia, and would likely part out the car itself.

If you can be reasonably confident of the car being complete and restorable, and able to communicate that confidence to a buyer, then, you may realize perhaps 4k to 7k, depending on condition and completeness. A complete Columbia, including correct controls, should bring 2k alone.

Again, much of the value is dependent on your ability to demonstrate value, as in being able to start the engine for a buyer.

Alan

32hoke    -- 05-28-2010 @ 5:56 PM
  Thanks Alan. I appreciate your comments. That is the kind of information I was looking for.

TomO    -- 05-29-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  If you decide to part out the car, be prepared for a long period of selling (3-4years). There is a demand for the Columbia and that should go fairly fast. The other drive train components will take longer and the body parts will take much longer as there are few 41 Mercury or Ford Fordors being restored. If you can, it would be more advantageous to paint and assemble the car and sell it finished. Next best would be to assemble it and sell it as a project.

Tom

32hoke    -- 05-29-2010 @ 9:51 AM
  Thanks Tom. I think the "Assemble and sell" would be the best bet. The old car is pretty straight and would make a good one. Thanks again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1313