Topic: V8 Merc condenser question

cpetronis    -- 05-10-2019 @ 7:19 AM
  Hello there,

New to the forum and did a quick search for this topic but didn't hit on anything. I've run into an issue I was hoping you knowledgeable folks may have already hit upon.
I own a 1944 Ford T16 Universal Carrier which has a Mercury engine in it. The distributor at some point was upgraded after the war to OEM # 32-15931-1. I'm now doing what I consider to be basic tune up to include the replacement of points, rotor and condenser. So far Mac autoparts has had everything except the condenser. They show it as OEM part # 32-12483-2. The picture they show looks exactly like the one which came off mine. I almost think mine might be NOS because it says "Shurit made in USA G015" on the bottom in very fancy lettering and it looks like it's been through a war.
At any rate, this condenser seems to be "unavailable" via Mac's as well as other online retailers I have searched. I can't believe that thousands of vehicles around the world would be potentially stranded due to lack of a suitable replacement condenser. Has anyone here found another condenser that will work to replace the 32-12483?

Thanks for your help

ken ct.    -- 05-10-2019 @ 7:26 AM
  Yes I have 2 of them. ken ct 1-203-260-9780.

TomO    -- 05-11-2019 @ 4:37 PM

Please do not use Mac's part numbers to identify a part, it makes it difficult to understand your question. Mac's always includes the Ford part number and that is what most of us use to source parts.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-11-19 @ 4:43 PM

cpetronis    -- 05-13-2019 @ 6:55 AM
  Sorry about that, read the number too quickly on the website. Looks as if the original OEM might be
1GA-12300. Thanks

cpetronis    -- 05-20-2019 @ 12:13 PM
  I received the NOS condensers in the mail on Saturday Ken. Thanks.

ken ct.    -- 05-20-2019 @ 1:01 PM
  Your welcome. ken ct

sarahcecelia    -- 05-30-2019 @ 9:17 AM
  I did thousands of tune ups as a mechanic for about 10 or 12 years, and never once did I replace a condenser! Points, and plugs is all I did for parts.( Except for a MAJOR TUNE UP, when I did plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap). Yes, condensers go bad, but that is VERY RARE!! Never had one tune up come back for a bad condenser!! Don't waste money on one, unless it is bad, and you will know when one is!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=12895