Topic: '49 Mercury leaf spring bushings

oldfordman    -- 07-02-2018 @ 8:17 PM
  Where is a good source for these bushings? Tried RockAuto, but the bushings are way too small.
Thanks for any help/advice.
Don

TomO    -- 07-03-2018 @ 6:18 AM
  Don, my chassis parts catalog shows that the spring bushings are 8M-5719. C&G lists that part number in their catalog.

Rock Auto gives the dimensions of the AC Delco bushings with an OD of 1" , an ID of .57" and a length of 1.4". The Chassis Parts catalog does not give dimensions. Are these dimensions the same as the bushings that you removed?

Tom

oldfordman    -- 07-03-2018 @ 7:21 AM
  Tom,
Thanks for the info. Yes the ones I got from RockAuto are way too small, shoulda checked dims more closely!
I haven't removed the old ones yet. I'll check C&G.
Thanks again
Don

oldfordman    -- 07-28-2018 @ 12:13 PM
  Hi Guys,
Now that I know that I have the correct bushings [had them all along, just didn't know it!] how do I install them? Is something gonna snap or fall or otherwise come apart so that I can never get it back together? LOL
Can I just take the shackles out and replace bushings and put them back in?
Thanks for your help and advice.
Don

trjford8    -- 07-29-2018 @ 6:46 AM
  If they are a rubber bushing you should be able to change them easily. Jack up the car and support the frame on both sides just ahead of the springs. I use big pieces of wood header blocks for safety. Pull the rear wheels. Now do one side at a time. Jack up one side of the rear end just enough to get the weight off the shackle. Unbolt the shackle and tap it out with a hammer(if needed). Remove the old bushings and replace with new and reassemble.
If you also need front spring bushings you will have to remove the spring as I believe they may need to be pressed out and new ones pressed into the spring( Someone more knowledgeable with the Merc springs may correct me on this part). You will also need to find some good support for the rear end if the springs need to be removed. Again you can do one side at a time.

trjford8    -- 07-29-2018 @ 6:46 AM
  If they are a rubber bushing you should be able to change them easily. Jack up the car and support the frame on both sides just ahead of the springs. I use big pieces of wood header blocks for safety. Pull the rear wheels. Now do one side at a time. Jack up one side of the rear end just enough to get the weight off the shackle. Unbolt the shackle and tap it out with a hammer(if needed). Remove the old bushings and replace with new and reassemble.
If you also need front spring bushings you will have to remove the spring as I believe they may need to be pressed out and new ones pressed into the spring( Someone more knowledgeable with the Merc springs may correct me on this part). You will also need to find some good support for the rear end if the springs need to be removed. Again you can do one side at a time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=12085