Topic: 1952 Mercury gas tank

wirefarmer    -- 04-23-2018 @ 9:07 AM
  Does anyone know if the BA-9002 gas tank that Bob Drake sells fits a 1952 Mercury as well as a Ford. Or where I can find a new of good used tank.

trjford8    -- 04-23-2018 @ 5:40 PM
  Not sure anyone makes the correct tank for Mercs. When I had a tank problem in my 54 Merc I had to use a new repo tank for a 57 Mercury and then spend money to have a radiator shop remove the neck and tip it downward for the correct angle to get it through the hole behind the license plate. Also had to lengthen the mounting straps as the 57 tank is deeper(holds 2 more gallons).

TomO    -- 04-24-2018 @ 6:50 AM
  Most reproduction fuel tanks will not accept the original fuel level sender and the aftermarket ones are not as accurate. What is the problem with your tank?

Tom

wirefarmer    -- 04-24-2018 @ 8:26 AM
  It was rusty, someone repaired it with Red Kote inside and solder and "gunk" outside. The radiator shop is concerned his dip will not remove all the Red Kote liner, but will loosen it and cause problems.

Has anyone used a '55 Ford tank? The measurements look right and the radiator shop says they can resolder my filler pipe in. The difference appears to be the indents in the top of the tank to hold it in place. The Ford has two side by side and the original only has one in the middle.

Thanks to all for the help.

TomO    -- 04-25-2018 @ 6:47 AM
  The radiator shop hot tank should remove the Red Kote, but if there is some left, you can remove it with Acetone. Then give the tank a wash with a weak solution of Phosphorate acid to prevent flash rust. Then use a coating like Bill Hirsch whit coating to seal the inside of the tank and keep it from rusting again.

If the Red Kote is in good condition and your tank is not leaking or rusting from the inside, I would leave it alone.

Advertise on this site and the Ford Barn for a replacement tank.

If you use the 55 Ford tank or another aftermarket tank, please let uo know the results. We can use your experience to help other owners.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 04-26-2018 @ 3:07 PM
  Try Chris Robbins in Germansville, Pa. He has loads of salvaged Ford and Merc cars call: 610-442-2187, 11am - 10pm ET

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11844