Topic: fuel pump

Peder D    -- 10-11-2017 @ 12:12 PM
  Hi! I have a fuel pump with the glass bowl in my '46 Mercury. I bought this back in 2005 from Joblot, I believe. Not many miles on the car since overhauling back 2010.
Problem is that the fuel level in the bowl is reduced when the car has not been started for a while. I can see no leaks, the flexible line close to the firewall seems ok and not to old, there's plenty of gas in the tank, and I have recently replaced the seal between the bowl and the pump with cork seal. The start is at best difficult. What seems to be the problem? Thanks, Peder

ken ct.    -- 10-11-2017 @ 2:51 PM
  For 1 thing the glass bowl pumps never came out till the 47 models. It will work but not correct for 46. The gas in the carb bowl should last roughly above that its mostly evaporates. If less than that your power valve or gasket is leaking gas into the crankcase. Smell your dipstick for gas. 2 weeks it will evaporate after that. I have correct 41 to 46 all metal have 1 left and show rebuilt with bullet proof diaphragm and valves for info call Ken Ct. 1-203-260-9780

TomO    -- 10-12-2017 @ 1:06 PM
  Peder,

If the glass bowl is less than full, the bowl gasket is probably leaking. The new gasket may solve the problem, but if someone over-tightened the bowl nut, they may have bent the seating area and the pump should be replaced. The glass bowl nut is supposed to be finger tight and you should not be able to rotate the glass bowl.

Tom

42oink    -- 10-13-2017 @ 12:40 PM
  Hi Peder, I'm sure someone will correct me if this doesn't make sense, but could an air leak farther along toward the carb be allowing the gas to siphon back to the tank? How long does it set when you notice the level going down? Seems to me, even if the bowl gasket was not seating the gas would at least stay in the bowl. What if the fuel float valve wasn't seating. Would that allow air back to start it siphoning? Just a thought. What does anybody think? 42oink.

Peder D    -- 10-15-2017 @ 10:01 AM
  Thanks to all for your replies...got a hold of my mechanic friend who has been tooling around with Early Fords for 50 years +++...and who has taken care of most of my problems with the Mercury...he had an original and correct pump for the '46 which he had overhauled...we installed that along with a new original Ford hose to the pump. Didn't take long before the old gal started right up....we haven't determined whether the glass bowl pump was the culprit, but the hose definitely needed replacing...Peder

TomO    -- 10-16-2017 @ 7:53 AM
  Peder, In the USA we stay away from new old stock flex gas lines as they are not resistant to the Ethanol in our gas. If your gas also has Ethanol added, you may want to source a new line from the USA.

Tom

blarge    -- 10-18-2017 @ 6:14 PM
  Ken: Do you have a rebuilt fuel pump for a 46 Ford 1/2 ton pick up I can buy? If not, will you rebuild the one I have? Thanks, Bill Large 586-677-4790 Michigan

Peder D    -- 07-04-2018 @ 6:13 AM
  TomO: Found the problem to my lack of sufficient fuel to the gas pump...turns out...the push rod had been "shortened" after 72 years, so the pump wasn't up to its job...anyone else experience the same? Anyway, "new" push rod in, and the ol' gal came back to life...was advised not to use a NOS flex gas line...any idea where to "source" a new line in the U.S.? Thanks, Peder

39 Ken    -- 07-05-2018 @ 3:52 AM
  Peter, Bob Shewman makes and sells a new Fuel flex line identical to the original but with new material that is compatible with the fuels of today. A superior product and I have used three so far.
Bob can be reached at:

gadgiteer@aol.com

or by phone at 610-933-6637.

len47merc    -- 07-07-2018 @ 8:15 AM
  With all due respect and appreciation for ken ct - just to clarify the 'correctness' of a glass bowl pump on a '46, glass bowls were implemented in late '46 (mid-to-late November from my research) and can be found both in late '46's and all '47's. Many late '46's DID have the glass bowls, and many very early '47's have '46 serial numbers but were not finished off the assembly lines and titled until Jan-Feb '47 (ask me how I know). This has been validated with me and endorsed by EFV8 technical advisors as well as knowledgeable judges at meets. Additionally, this is borne out in Appendix D Evolutionary Changes for 1941-48 Ford Passenger Vehicles on page D-3 of the 1941-48 Ford Book.

Bottom line is if you have a mid-to-late 4th quarter '46 serial number 59A or AB engine car and it has a glass bowl you have a compelling position to take that it is technically correct. If it is an earlier than November '46 car and it has a glass bowl and you are keen on originality then a pump without the glass bowl is more likely and technically correct (you might have a difficult time selling the story to a judge otherwise).

Steve

TomO    -- 07-08-2018 @ 10:02 AM
  Peder, I am glad the you found the problem with your hard starting.

Your description of the problem (reduced fuel level in the sediment bowl on the fuel pump) led me to my suggestion of a leaking bowl gasket. I have a glass bowl pump on my 40 Merc and it is full after sitting all winter. If yours is still losing fuel after sitting for a while, you do have an air leak and your car will prime the carburetor faster if you find and repair the leak.

I have posted a test to check fuel delivery several times. You may want to perform the test on your lovely Mercury to ensure that the fuel system is in good operating condition. Many times, we fix one problem and don't find the others that are lurking to cause problems.

Here is an article that I wrote for the V-8 Times.

Tom

Peder D    -- 07-09-2018 @ 3:54 AM
  With regards to the fuel pump, and its correctness for the 1946 Mercury. how do I actually determine when my car was built? These cars don't have VIN no's...my chassis no. is 99A-1227666...does this no. indicate the assembly date? I've never really understood this....I have however found stamped on one of the trunk panels...Ford Motor Company, October 1946. Is that a good indication? This car was bought from the family of the first owner, so I am the second owner since 1946. Thanks to everyone for your help!
Peder

ken ct.    -- 07-09-2018 @ 4:16 AM
  Peder,if that is an Oct. 46 car it must have been 1 of the last 46's made and could have installed a new for 47 glass bowl pump. The 47's were almost out in Oct. 46.New 47 models I assume came out in Nov. of 46. OMO ken ct.

TomO    -- 07-09-2018 @ 7:12 AM
  Peder, the cutoff dates for changes to the 46-48 Mercury's are not known. Some changes occurred in 1946 at some plants and were not implemented until 1947 in other plants.

Original cars, like yours and Steve's, are a gold mine of information. The date codes on glass, instruments and other parts are the best indicators of when a car was built. Your serial number is in the middle of the range for all V-8 engines made in the 1946 model year, but you provide a part stamped with a date that is near the end of 1946 production, so we have to believe that the car was manufactured after the first of October, 1946. If there are dates stamped on amy of the instruments, like the clock or speedometer, they would also be an indicator of build date. If the car has any original glass the date codes on it would also help determine the range of the build date.

According to the date given by Steve, your Mercury could very well have been delivered with the glass bowl fuel pump.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2018 @ 3:03 PM
  Are you using that daxn ethanol fuel? It evaporates very fast and the gas is mixed in with it, so tit takes the gas with it, that's a problem. Don't believe it? put a little alchohol in a small container and watch it disappear. It evapoates very quickly, because it's a cousin of acetone and laquer thinner, and you know how fast they evaporate don't you?

Regards, Steve Lee

Peder D    -- 07-17-2018 @ 2:02 PM
  Tom...I managed to read some codes from the windows that are original...rear window reads Herculite AS 976? Right pass. front J DF? Right wing also J DF? Quarter window rear AS F-S? Left wing H DF, possibly AS-FS? Left window driver J DF? I use question marks because the markings on these windows are 72 years old, and hard to read accurately...hope it's possible to decipher when the car was manufactured? Thanks....

Peder

TomO    -- 07-18-2018 @ 7:29 AM
  Peder, go to this E-bay page to see the date format used on USA manufactured Ford cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-52-Ford-glass-etching-kit-original-style-glass-bugs-for-your-restoration-/352211913786

The date shown is for March 1973 (3 Ford 37) windshield. The markings that you gave for the rear quarter windows probably have the date code. I am not familiar with the other markings that you posted, so they may also carry a date code.

Tom

Peder D    -- 07-23-2018 @ 1:21 AM
  Tom...

Now read the markings on both sides of the Ford script...most my windows are original...they read: J, meaning the month of October, and DF, meaning the year 1946 (J is the 10th month, D for 4 and F 6)...seem to be logical and indicate that my car was mfg. in October of 1946? Back to the 2 pumps available that year...what is the difference... technically and mechanically, besides looks?

Btw....looks like the gas line coming from the tank has a smaller diameter (replaced back in '05) and not corresponding with the hole in the flex fuel line...thus causing air to be sucked instead of gas...car starts right up after being driven in the course of a day, but if not started up in several days, it will not start without "help"...
Thanks....

Peder

TomO    -- 07-23-2018 @ 8:02 AM
  Peder,

Yes, your car is a late 1946 car. I do not know the date when the glass bowl fuel pump was put into production.

The glass bowl pump has a larger sediment bowl than the 41-46 pump and it is easier to clean. Other than that, there is no difference in function.

The line coming from the tank should be a 1/4" steel line with a copper coating. The correct line can be purchased from Roy Nacewicz and Narraganset Reproductions. I believe that they both carry the flex line as well.

http://fordscript.com/

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/

I don't understand how the incorrect size steel line or flex line could be connected together. The fittings for smaller lines would not have the correct thread for the flex line.

Tom

Peder D    -- 07-23-2018 @ 11:31 AM
  Tom...

The line mounted back in 2005 was of a smaller dimension than a 1/4"...the fitting is correct, but not the line...making for air to be sucked in....have used silicone gasket "glue" to hopefully remedy the situation until I can get the correct dimension fuel line mounted....

It's hard to communicate so far away.....but thanks again for all your help!!!

Peder

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11266