Topic: 1940 start after running

jerandbee    -- 09-24-2017 @ 2:33 PM
  After driving and attaining a temperature of 175 degrees, verified by thermometer in radiator, I turn off the engine and try to restart - just a click or two and starter will not turn over engine. I wait about 15-30 minutes and it starts right up. In the past two years since buying the car, it never loses water or runs out of the overflow tube. This event happens even on a short trip to the gas station. Any ideas what to look for?
Thank you

TomO    -- 09-25-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  Check the battery for condition by measuring across the battery while cranking the engine with the starter. The voltage should remain above 5 volts. If this is good, clean the battery terminals and test the car. If it still fails, do the next step.

Check for a voltage drop between the battery and the starter by connecting the black or COM lead of a voltmeter to the NEG terminal of the battery and the red or + lead to the starter terminal. The meter should read 0.3 v or less. If it reads the correct voltage, continue to the next step. If it reads more than 0.3 v, move the red lead back to the solenoid terminal with the starter cable connected to it. If the meter reads 0.2 v or less, replace the cable from the solenoid to the starter, if it reads more than 0.2 v move the red lead to the other side of the solenoid and repeat the test. The meter should now read 0.1 v or less. If it reads more, replace the battery cable, if it reads correctly replace the solenoid.

If the above test shows correct readings and you still have a problem, connect the black lead of your meter to the starter case and the red lead to the POS battery terminal and crank the starter. The meter should read 0.1 v or less. If it reads more, replace the ground cable from the firewall to the engine and the one from the battery to the firewall and repeat the test. If you still have a high reading, remove the starter, clean the end plate and and the mounting flange of all paint and dirt. Install the starter and repeat the test. If the reading is still high, repair the starter.

If both tests are passed and you still have a problem, remove the starter and repair it. It may need new bushings and brushes.

If you still have a problem, try cranking the engine with the ignition off, when the starter acts up. If it cranks OK, you may have a timing issue. If it doesn't, you may have a carburetor issue.

Tom

jerandbee    -- 09-25-2017 @ 10:21 AM
  Thanx much, Tom. Looks like I've got some testing to do. Electrical is not my forte so needed those great instruction steps.

fordmerc    -- 10-07-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  For what it is worth, my similar problem was poor ground due to corrosion over time. Of course I had done Tom O's voltage drop check but I didn't accept the result which seemed too small to count (I don't understand electricity). After 3 sessions of checking , sanding, and filing at ground connections, I solved the problem. So TomO is right - believe it!

voced    -- 12-19-2022 @ 7:17 PM
  I had a very similar problem with my 36. I put on one of those new starters that are available with the aftermarket dealers. You would think that if you buy a new starter, it wouldn't be that.. I spent a bunch of money changing everything and come to find out after putting on a rebuilt original starter it starts like a new one. Good luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11212