Topic: 1949-1953 Mercury Engine Color

zoopie36    -- 09-11-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  Would appreciate if anyone who could tell me the name of the 1949-1953 Mercury engine color and also where one could purchase it. Thanks, zoopie

TomO    -- 09-11-2017 @ 8:01 AM
  Ford used different colors for different years. The sales brochures for those years show:

1949 light green ( Bill Hirsch sells this color for 49-53)
1950 -Gold
1951 - Red
1952 - Red
1953- Orange

I suggest that you contact the advisor for the year that you are restoring and ask what his research shows.

Tom

zoopie36    -- 09-11-2017 @ 8:31 AM
  Thanks much, Tom. I knew that you would know! I already got the motor and it was painted this light green but needed some minor touch-up so now I will be able to order some. I really appreciate your expertise. Take care, zoopie

56MarkII    -- 09-14-2017 @ 9:42 AM
  All of those different colors LOL
Quite a bit different up here in Canada, you know the place that used Flatheads in 1954.
Most of the Fords and Mercurys up here were painted a beige color unless they were rebuilt or repainted a different color. My 1950 Mercury V8 was never rebuilt including the transmision when I bought it back in the eighties. The entire engine, bell housing and transmission were all the same color but the transmission was very easy to identify the proper color. Bing the lights came on when I was looking at it. Being a mechanic that color looked familiar. Cummins Beige and the lighter older beige!! I completely painted and detailed my entire power train exactly like I found it and used to have my hood open at car meets. People who knew the color looked and excitedly asked "where the heck did you find the correct color???" I laughed and said its under our noses and easy to get, go to a Cummins dealer and don't use the aftermarket paint, it ain't correct. Years later I see more and more being painted with Cummins and I tell people I have a little Cummins V8. I have three cores in my possssion right now, a 239, a 255, and an unknown and two are beige and the Mercury 255 is orange but is a Ford reman engine. I also had a 1954 Meteor and it was beige as well. Of course this is for 1949-54 and the 48 and older are probably different but they are as scarce as hens teeth up here.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11174