Topic: Adjusting electric horns on Merc

Hannacroix    -- 08-04-2017 @ 1:42 PM
  Anyone out there have a method of adjusting horns off car? Car is 1940 Mercury, 6 volt electrical system.

This message was edited by Hannacroix on 8-4-17 @ 2:52 PM

len47merc    -- 08-04-2017 @ 2:55 PM
  Not too complicated - with a 6V battery sitting on the work bench and a jig set up to hold each horn (with their rear covers off) it is fairly easy to wire a secured connection to one post of the battery and one post of the horn, another secure connection to the battery (I used 14 gauge braided wire with the appropriate terminals attached to each end) and the loose end intermittently touched to the other post of the horn for testing, adjustment of the points to optimize, another test, another adjustment, etc., other than driving Momma out of her mind (these things ARE loud) and my next door neighbor it was fairly easy and quick to get them both to the optimum point setting. Depending upon your ear sensitivity ear plugs may be appropriate. Try not to point the horn at a close reflective surface - ask me how I know (as Alan would say).

EDIT - stating the obvious here, each horn 'plays' a different note (or 'pitch') to produce a rich, combined tone/'chord'. You'll have to get musical to get it to what sounds right to your ear. It should be obvious and not difficult.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-4-17 @ 3:01 PM

TomO    -- 08-05-2017 @ 12:46 PM
  You don't need to make noise to adjust the points. Adjust the nut so that the points can close and will open as soon as the horn motor is activated. I use a rough estimate of .005" between the point and the actuating arm and it works 99% of the time.

Most of the time, the points do not need an adjustment, if they are at the factory setting. The points can be cleaned and you should also remove the cover over the horn relay points and clean them also. The horn relay points should move the fixed contact about .003" when the relay is picked.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11052