Topic: Dome light switch

Dobie    -- 04-13-2017 @ 7:37 PM
  1953 Mercury Monterey The dome light switch in the arm rest in the back seat, How does it come out? Does it just pop up, or is it held in with a screw? The lights don't work over the door. The courtesy lights work when the door opens.I'm at a loss and don't want to break something.

This message was edited by Dobie on 4-14-17 @ 7:30 AM

TomO    -- 04-15-2017 @ 7:42 AM
  I am pretty sure that it is similar to my 53 Lincoln, I will check it out this weekend and let you know.

Tom

TomO    -- 04-17-2017 @ 8:39 AM
  I checked my Lincoln and it is different from the Mercury. The Lincoln switch is on the side panel. It appears that it is held in place by prongs that are bent over on the back side.

Tom

Dobie    -- 04-17-2017 @ 10:57 AM
  Thanks for checking. I hate to start tearing the arm rest apart. looking for stray 6 volts

TomO    -- 04-18-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  What body style are you working on? Is it the Sport Coupe?

I believe that the wire feeding 6 volts to the switch comes from the door switch on the side of the car that the dome light switch is on, and runs under the door sill.

The chassis parts catalog lists a screw to fasten the dome light switch for all models.

Tom

Dobie    -- 04-20-2017 @ 7:39 PM
  Hard top, Monterey. I'll have to take the arm rest off and look at the switch from the bottom. I took the ash tray out but could see no wires.
Thanks for you help.

merc5340    -- 03-27-2022 @ 5:10 AM
  Hi Dobbie and Tom
I have a 53 Monterey sport coupe with the same problem so I’m interested to hear about how the issue was fixed?
Thank you
Craig

TomO    -- 03-27-2022 @ 9:01 AM
  I have not heard if he resolved the problem.

Please explain the problem that you are having. Do the dome lights work when the switch is turned on? Do the dome lights work when you open the door?

Have you checked the dome light bulbs?

Tom

merc5340    -- 08-21-2022 @ 9:16 PM
  Hi Tom
The under dash courtesy lights work fine, operated by the door switches, the lights above the windows along the roof don’t work at all. I replaced the bulbs but no luck . I took the switch out of the armrest and it seems ok, but I have also checked several suppliers to get a new one and no luck.
The dash lights, map light and rheostat all work fine. The headlights, tail lights are fine. Turn signals are weak but work. Backup lights ok. Car is original 6v. Any other ideas??

trjford8    -- 08-22-2022 @ 7:57 AM
  Is there power to the switch?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=10676