Topic: 51 Mercury - Heater Hose Reroute Procedure

Tracker    -- 04-02-2010 @ 5:08 PM
  The heater box on my 51 Convertible has developed a coolant leak and I don't have time to repair it prior to an upcoming car show.

Would it create any problems internal to the engine if I routed the hose coming off the passenger side water
pump to the intake at the top of the passenger side intake ? In other words,the hose would be routed as a loop pumping coolant from the water pump to the elbow on top of the engine so it just makes a continuous flow cycle ? Would that arrangement create radiator pressure ?

As always, I value the opinions of those on this forum and would apprecaite any advice you may have regading the above.

Thanks

Tracker

ford38v8    -- 04-02-2010 @ 8:08 PM
  Tracker, the arrangement you suggest doesn't allow an efficient cooling of the right bank, as the intake will receive some hot water directly from the head. The difference, however, unless your engine runs overly hot anyway, is insignificant, and will not be a problem.

I'm not sure about your car, but on the earlier cars, there is a shut off valve at the head outlet that will prevent any flow through the hose at all, so go ahead and shut off the valve and connect the hose to bypass the heater.

Alan

TomO    -- 04-03-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Tracker, Your heater control valve should shut off all of the circulation to the core. You can also block off the heater core by using small rubber plugs into the connections and the hooking the hoses back up. I have also used pieces of inner tube stretched over the fittings before attaching the hoses.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-03-2010 @ 7:31 AM
  If your problem is a leaky heater core, just pull both hose off and install a short piece of tubing between them as a bypass. You will have to pull the hoses off, anyway, to get the core out. If you have to slit the hoses to get them off, do it carefully so as not to damage the tubes.

Tracker    -- 04-07-2010 @ 7:17 AM
  Thanks to everyone who responded with advice on the heater hose re-route. I ended up taking the heater box off the firewall for repairs ...what a job...not reommended for recreation. Thanks again.

Tracker

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1036