Topic: 1947 Lincoln continental battery replacement

billboos    -- 12-04-2015 @ 1:30 PM
  My starter is turning slowly even though it starts. Some have suggested a 6 V Optima redtop battery. Some recommend 2 Optimas in parallel. Anyone with experience with these two solutions or others. Thanks

cliftford    -- 12-04-2015 @ 6:54 PM
  If the battery is your problem, an optima will give you maximum cranking power, [800CCA],but 2 batteries in parallel will not give more cranking power. First check your old battery, all cables and connections, and starter ground, etc.

TomO    -- 12-05-2015 @ 8:03 AM
  Check your battery while cranking the engine. The voltage should not fall below 5.0 Volts. If it does, the battery needs to be charged or replaced. Most stores that sell batteries will check your battery for free.

Check the cables by doing a voltage drop test. Connect a voltmeter between the battery post and the starter and crank the engine with the ignition off. Use the following procedure.

Connect the COM or - lead of the meter to the battery and the + or POS lead of the meter to the starter. If everything is OK the meter will read 0.3 V or less. If it is higher, the cable or solenoid needs to be replaced. You can determine which it is by moving the + lead back toward the battery. Each connection should be 0.1V or less.

Connect the + lead of the meter to the POS terminal of the battery and the - lead to the starter case and repeat the test. The meter should read 0.1V or less. If it reads higher,check the grounding cables and the grounding surface of the starter.

Tom

billboos    -- 12-05-2015 @ 12:15 PM
  Clifford, Tom, thanks for the detailed suggestions. I think I will replace the battery first just because I don't know how old it is and I can't find any specs like CCAs as it is an off-brand called Superior and also stamped "SECOND" on the case. The prior owner restored the car and it sat in storage for 8 years and I think they bought a cheapo battery just to start it. It has since gotten all new belts, hoses, fluids, carb, fuel pump, plugs, wires, rotors, distributor caps, coil, etc and runs perfectly. The battery and solenoid cables all look new but I will check them for voltage and also thickness. I need to find a good mechanic in the San Francisco are for the future. Thanks for your fast responses. I'm new to the forum and will try to not ask dumb questions. I just joined EFV-8 as a paying member too as this Club seems better than the Lincoln Continental Owner's Club for info on older Lincolns. Thanks

cliftford    -- 12-05-2015 @ 12:58 PM
  billboos, There are no dumb questions in this hobby. I've been working on these cars for 50 years and am still learning new things. Ask anything any time. We all have different levels of experience. Anyway, good luck with your lincoln.

TomO    -- 12-06-2015 @ 9:19 AM
  Did you contact the Mission Trails and the Golden Gate RG's. They are your best bet for mechanic references in the Bay area.

Tom

billboos    -- 12-06-2015 @ 10:59 AM
  Tom, yes I left a phone message for the Mission Trails Regional President. I have since learned that I will be receiving a National Directory which will give local contact information and likely will be my best source. Thanks for answering.
Bill

sarahcecelia    -- 07-04-2017 @ 7:00 AM
  Your starter may be dragging on the armature . Check it's draw while cranking; It should draw about 230-235 amps. Battery cables should be 2 gauge.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-04-2017 @ 7:02 AM
  No question is Dumb, if you don't know the answer!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=9186