Topic: brakes

37don    -- 07-25-2011 @ 6:36 PM
  I have a friend with a 1936 Lincoln 4dr and was asking about installing hydraulic brakes. Is there a kit to install master cylinder? Will Wilson Welding backing plates work?
Thanks, Don

supereal    -- 07-26-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Contact MT Car Products. www.mtcarproducts.com They are V8 TIMES advertisers and specialize in such conversions. It is a job for someone who knows their stuff, as brakes must be carefully engineered for the application to be safe.

37don    -- 07-26-2011 @ 5:05 PM
  Thanks for the reply. This fellow is near 80 and has been a mechanic all his working life. He just wondered if there was a kit to make things easier.He may contact Bob Wilson at Wilson welding. I have had a bad experience with Mt Products with what I feel was a very poor response to bad set of shoes.I understand they are under new ownership and maybe haven't figured things out yet but they better hurry up.
Don

supereal    -- 07-27-2011 @ 12:46 PM
  Don: Getting poor response in the parts business seems to be getting worse. This week, we had to order the same parts three times from a local dealer to get the right pieces. The first came with three front shoes and one back. The next was the wrong part number, and the third finally was correct. This, from one of the area's largest GM dealers! It caused nearly a week's delay in getting a customer's truck back on the road when he needed it. When we have a problem with a dealer, we call or write the owner because they may not know that someone in their organization is driving away business, theirs and ours.

37don    -- 07-27-2011 @ 7:06 PM
  I don't make a habit of negativity but in this case I spent $400 for front brakes and had a bad pull to the right after i installed them. I tried everything including a different drum without any results. I gave the shoes a wile to wear into the drum and still pulled the right. Was driving the car to Syracuse and had to have good brakes ( 340mi one way). I pulled the right drum and the shoes were wearing very uneven so I called MT and they agreed with me that problem was probably the shoes.I had them send me a new set for $110 and as soon as I went down the driveway the problem was solved. I put the shoes on a surface plat and they were warped, probably from improper riveting.I called Mt when I got back from Syracuse and inquired about some kind of compensation and was told they can't do anything because they are used.So spent $400 + $110 to make them work.They could have made some kind of adjustment and I would have been a great salesman for them but they chose the cheep way out.I will be ordering the back brakes this fall from Wilson Welding.
Don

supereal    -- 07-28-2011 @ 10:42 AM
  I, too, think they should have stepped up. I doubt that riveting the linings caused the shoe to warp. More likely, the shoe was damaged before the lining was applied, and they didn't catch it. We always fit the shoes and linings to the drum during the installation process. Many need attention, particularly when the drums have been cut multiple times. We also replace the springs and any clips needed to secure the parts. We do all this for a couple of reasons: to keep the customer satisfied, and to prevent any problems with the system that could expose us to legal ramifications. Brakes look simple, but they require lots of careful attention to be safe.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-09-2011 @ 12:48 PM
  Richard Lacy at earlyv8@aol.com, (626) 338-2282 makes an excellent master cylinder mount for the '36 Ford. You might ask him if he knows anything about Lincolns.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=3468