Topic: Turning a v12 over by hand?

MistahNash    -- 07-19-2021 @ 9:38 PM
  The v12 in a 1947 Lincoln im thinking of picking up is stuck. It sat for a long time but after removing a couple plugs I dont see any signs of rust or water damage so im assuming its just some stuck valves. Want to soak everything and work it back and fourth by hand. Is there a good way to do this? With the vibration dampener sticking out of the crank pulley I dont see anyway to get a socket or a wrench on anything to do it. Any suggestions?

TomO    -- 07-20-2021 @ 7:16 AM
  Inside the center of the vibration damper is a 1/2"-20 x 1 1/2" bolt that holds the vibration damper on. I would remove the vibration damper and then you can use a bolt in the crankshaft to work it back and forth. Be careful with the vibration damper as they are not readily available and do not bend the pulley for the same reason.

Tom

MistahNash    -- 07-20-2021 @ 9:59 AM
  Ok thank you!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-15-2021 @ 10:47 AM
  hi
removing the heads [ which is easy,] and soaking with KB BLASTER,
I have tapped on the top of pistons with a piece of hard wood cut to size of the piston, and
tap on the top of wood, if it clicks that piston is not seized, if it is solid that is the one could possibly stuck
I have done this on a few flatheads,
if you remove the oil pan, you can loosen the connectiong rods, maybe back off a 1/8 inch,
this gives the piston a place to go, and you are only doing one piston at a time,
if you do not back off the rods you are trying to make one piston go down and at the same time making all the others move,
doing on at a time, should work
once you have the engine free, now you can remove the all the pistons and with a little luck hone the cylinder and replace the rings
Hope this helps, 37Ragtopman, I would rebuild the 12 cylinger Lincoln engine, if it was mine,
there is nothing wrong with it, it worked back then and will work now,
and it save a LOT OF MODIFYING the REST OF THE CAR, transmisson, rear end, electrical system cooling system,exhaust system

suspension, front and rear, and MORE, this is just the tip of the ice berg.
once you have the engine free, now you can remove the all the pistons and with a little luck hone the cylinder and replace the rings

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=15004