Topic: Steering play

Lightning    -- 08-03-2019 @ 2:05 PM
  I have a 1948 Lincoln five window coupe. My steering has more play than I am comfortable with. I have copies of the Ford manual for the steering box and pictures that go with it, but I couldn't figure what to do to remove the play. I see that there are shims. Do you do something with them. Also there is the adjusting screw and locking nut at the bottom of he box. Can that be used to adjust play? Thanks for your advice

TomO    -- 08-05-2019 @ 8:50 PM
  In most cases the play is caused by worn parts in the steering liknage (tie rod end, drag link end, king pins). I like to check for wear by jacking up one front wheel and trying to move it by turning it like it is making a turn. There should be no movement when you try this. If there is, check to see where the movement is and replace the worn parts. A looses steering box can also cause play.

If the linkage is not the cause of the play, you will probably have to rebuild the steering box with a ne worm and roller.

Tom

TomO    -- 08-13-2019 @ 7:52 AM
  You should not start a new topic to reply to a topic, just click on the REPLY box in the heading

The screw on the steering box adjusts the clearance between the roller and the worm gear. It is adjusted when the box is assembled and should not need further adjustment. If someone has adjusted it it could cause play in the steering. Over tightening this adjustment will lead to hard steering an wear on the worm gear.

To adjust: jack up the front end and remove the drag link from the Pittman arm. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, counting the turns. Set the steering wheel at the midpoint and remove the steering thrust screw lock nut and washer. Turn the adjusting screw so the roller just touches the worm. Replace the washer with the sharp edges down, replace the lock nut and tighten it. If the adjustments are correct, the pull to turn the wheel will be 2 - 2 1/2 lbs measured on a 9" radius.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-13-19 @ 7:55 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 08-31-2019 @ 4:00 PM

You can check the play by attaching a yard stick to the L/tire, aiming it so the far end is about 1/16th from the floor. Put a piece of masking tape on the floor at that end, and mark it's position with a pen or pencil-w/ the tire straight ahead; then by moving the steering wheel a little right, and a little left, you can see how it reacts to the movement of the steering wheel. Worked for me! If you have any play- Check the tie rod linkages, and idler ar

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-18-21 @ 10:20 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-02-2019 @ 11:37 AM
  hi
I think a repair manual would be of great help.
I think there are shims on the bottom of steering box, for up and down plan in worn gear.
grab the steering wheel and see if it will go up and down, I do not think there should be any play
if there is,
this would have to be done first before adjusting the play back and forth in the sector shaft [ end play ]
make sure the sector shaft bushing has no wobble , ] play ] and signs of grease leaking ?
refer to Lincoln work shop manual or MOTORS REPAIR MANUAL., that covers this operation,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-2-19 @ 11:39 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 10-26-2019 @ 8:05 AM

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-18-21 @ 10:17 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-19-2019 @ 11:01 AM
  HI Lightning
here is a photo out of my Original 36-48 Lincoln parts manual of the steering gear, it is the same from 1936 to 1948
showing it in exploded view,
hope this helps, 37 RAGTOPMAN
this parts manual is FOR SALE,

TomO    -- 08-21-2020 @ 8:57 AM
  The instructions that I posted above are for a later Lincoln. I am sorry about posting the incorrect procedure.

The instructions for your Lincoln are:

Jack up the front of the car so there is no weight on the wheels.
Turn the steering wheel so that the wheels are straight ahead.
Loosen the sector shaft thrust screw lock nut
Turn the sector shaft thrust screw clockwise until it is snug.
Back off the screw 1/8 turn and tighten the lock nut.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 01-23-2021 @ 11:37 AM
  For measuring steering wheel pull, I used a scale for weighing fish, with (2) pointers on it; one for the pull, and one that stayed where the max was. I made a fixture (insulated so it wouldn't mar the steering wheel) to hook the scale on and take my "pull"measurements.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-18-21 @ 10:22 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 03-18-2021 @ 10:06 AM

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-18-21 @ 10:24 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=13120