Topic: Paint on chassis assembly

jerry.grayson    -- 03-14-2010 @ 12:32 PM
  Mike
All of the research that I have done on this subject tells me that on the assembly line the complete chassis less engine, transmission and steering gear went through a paint booth and got a cursory spray coat of black paint. This tells me that even the brake lines were painted along with the gas tank, rear axle, front axle, springs, shocks,etc. I have observed this on original low mileage cars. What is your observation on this?

Stroker    -- 03-14-2010 @ 5:55 PM
  Speaking as a Ford owner that has owned 3 un-restored 38 Fords, my observation is consistent with yours. I think your logic is correct, as it is unimaginable that anyone "masked-off" such things
as springs, fuel and brake cables (or in your case hydraulic lines). On one 38 that had a Columbia
Overdrive installed, the copper lines and steel retaining clips were unpainted, which is consistent with the post-assembly installation of this accessory. I thing common sense would suggest that the most expedient method was always employed.

kubes40    -- 03-16-2010 @ 8:01 AM
  Hi Jerry,
There is more than ample proof to show that the chassis did in fact receive 'touch up' and that little or absolutely no masking was done. Thus, as you suggest, paint would have covered anything it came in contact with.
There is also proof that a chassis 'touch up' was done after the engines were installed.
I am willing to bet you would agree with me that many restorers (myself included) like to pretend this process didn't happen. Just look under most (perhaps any) very high point car and see the detail! Hardly what came off the assembly line.
I am guilty of this ... I don't have the heart to nonchalantly spray black paint over a chassis I have spent 100's of hours restoring!
Mike

jerry.grayson    -- 03-16-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  Mike
I agree with you 100% as I, like most serious restorers pretend that the touch up did not happen. But, the real issue to me at least is that judges should not get bent out of shape with the correct finish on chassis bolts etc. I do not mean to imply that chrome or stainless fastners should be overlooked, but paint on a rear axle gasket or bolt should not be docked points.

ford38v8    -- 03-16-2010 @ 10:07 PM
  Jerry, I agree, as do every Deputy Judge I know. We are at a point in our Judging acumen that point deductions incorrectly taken occur infrequently, and the appeals process is well known and explained again before an owner is asked to sign his judging sheet. Nobody need leave the Field with an incorrect score.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=935