Topic: wood bow on 40

shogun1940    -- 07-08-2015 @ 5:06 AM
  on a forty convert the rear wooden bow has a step down on the top,, does the lower part go to the front or the rear???

kubes40    -- 07-08-2015 @ 4:10 PM
  All of the rear bows I have installed had this recessed area on both sides (forward & rearward). These were the areas where the pads were tacked in. If that recessed area was not present, the extra thickness from the pad material would create a "lump" in the finished top.

shogun1940    -- 07-11-2015 @ 11:19 AM
  thanks for the info,, planing on buy a top from l.b. and finding a good installer

kubes40    -- 07-11-2015 @ 11:48 AM
  Tops are not that terribly difficult to install nicely. It does require patience and planning though.

I might suggest telling LB to leave any and all snaps OUT of the top. Too often, they will not align with the respective counterpart on your car. It is easy for an installer to place these exactly where required after the top is installed.

shogun1940    -- 07-11-2015 @ 7:56 PM
  thanks for the info,,i have been working on the right door window for a week ..i finally had to shim the window frame up 3/16 to a 1/4 " up to get the window to meet the the rubber seal. i could not get the top to adjust down to meet it. Should i have put a shim between the the front bow bracket or shimed the stainless tha hold the rubber seal any ideas

kubes40    -- 07-12-2015 @ 5:28 AM
  The vertical seal and / or the horizontal seal?

shogun1940    -- 07-13-2015 @ 5:17 PM
  along the top of the window where it meets the rubber seal,,one minute i have the window going all the way to the top and the next time it will not go all the way up,, 1/4" down,, even with it all the way up it did not make contac with the seal.. real frustrating.. i shimed the whole vent window assembly up ,,then had to raise the regulator

kubes40    -- 07-14-2015 @ 6:07 AM
  Does the contour of the top opening (around the window) match the contour of the window frame? In other words, when the window is rolled up, is the space between the top (vertical and horizontal)even?
Does your top clamp down well? Not too much space between the header and cowl?

shogun1940    -- 07-15-2015 @ 2:30 PM
  well that is the problem,, its even alll the way around but 3/8" low. I raised the frame 1/4" and it fit prettyy good. but the window would not go all the way to the top. time to step away from it for a few days..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8716