Topic: Need more bumper help

wmgmitchell    -- 03-11-2014 @ 7:14 PM
  Mike, I received the replacement bumper that was represented to be an original part for a 40. The bumper has the two ridges running the length of the inside, BUT they have about 2 inches of space between them. I believe I have an original front bumper on my car but the distance between the two ridges is only about an inch.

Question: did they ship an original part or is the one on my car wrong?

Bill

kubes40    -- 03-12-2014 @ 6:04 AM
  The bumpers with the two ribs on the back are correct. I have had a few with the ribs far apart as this one is. My guess is there was more than one supplier to Ford for this item.
I will attempt to determine if this was a design change and, if so, when it took place. Or, if it was simply a different supplier.

wmgmitchell    -- 03-12-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  Thanks very much, Mike.

Bill

trjford8    -- 03-12-2014 @ 5:23 PM
  The ones with the wider space between the ridges is a commercial bumper. I have original bumpers on my 41 pickup and the ridges are farther apart than on my 41 coupe.

kubes40    -- 03-12-2014 @ 6:46 PM
  TRJFORD8, As all '40 Ford passenger car (front & rear)and 112" w.b.commercial vehicles (front) AND '41 112" w.b. commercial (front) bumper bars were identical (part number) how did you manage to determine that the wider spaced ribs were specific to truck?

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-13-14 @ 10:24 AM

trjford8    -- 03-14-2014 @ 5:50 PM
  My truck has the original bumpers and I know of two other pickups with the same style bumpers. At this point I don't have any written documentation, but I'm hoping that the 40-41 pickup book reprinted by the V-8 Club may shed some light on this issue.

kubes40    -- 03-15-2014 @ 5:33 AM
  trjford,
How do you KNOW your bumpers are authentic to your truck and had not been replaced at some point? As you are certainly well aware, a LOT happened to these vehicles when they were simply "used" vehicles. Especially trucks - worked very hard back then, much unlike modern times.
I feel it is a huge stretch to believe the wide spaced bumpers were specific to commercial vehicles. Having an identical part number as the passenger cars bumper (bar) I would strongly suggest that they were installed upon vehicles as they were received at the assembly line. NO preference being given to a specific model.
If Ford had required a specific bumper (bar) for a specific vehicle, there would have been a specific design (different part number).

trjford8    -- 03-15-2014 @ 7:37 AM
  Can you prove they are not specific to commercial vehicles? As I said I have no documentation and am only going by observations of original trucks. If I had further proof you can rest assured you would be the first one to hear about it.

kubes40    -- 03-15-2014 @ 11:19 AM
  I can't prove they were not specific to commercial vehicles. However, I can prove the EXACT same part was used on all 40 passenger cars and the fronts of all '40 & '41 (112" wb) commercial vehicles.
Seems quite the stretch to think Ford would have sorted them on the assembly line. I can just see it: " Hey Joe! You can't go putting that wide spaced ribbed bumper on a car! Are you crazy Joe?".

Plus, on the concourse, is it now the practice for the judge to prove something DIDN'T happen?

alanwoodieman    -- 03-15-2014 @ 1:30 PM
  the only comment I ever heard from a concourse judge was--they both should match as to width between ridges,-- but like Kube said I doubt if the assembly line people cared!!

kubes40    -- 03-15-2014 @ 2:21 PM
  Alan, I have heard that as well but still, can't imagine the assembly line guys made certain they did in fact match. I would hazard a guess to say that if a batch of "narrow spaced" bars ran down to the last one and a batch of "wide spaced" bars was next up, well, that car would have got one of each.

I am quite particular when judging but personally would not deduct if I witnessed "non-matching".

wmgmitchell    -- 03-15-2014 @ 3:12 PM
  I have another wrinkle to add to this discussion. I went to install the new bumper, the one with the widely spaced ribs, and noted that the shape is different than the repop I was replacing and also different than the original bumper with the narrowly spaced ribs.

The new bumper is rounded on the last foot or so on each end and the center portion is roughly straight. The repop and old original are both gently curved for the entire length of the bumper. If I put them on their side and put one on top of the other, the center of the repop and original protrude about three inches beyond the new bumper.

For what it's worth, I note that the vendors all sell a one size fits all repop bumper.

What now?

Bill

40 Coupe    -- 03-16-2014 @ 4:07 AM
  At this point, is the bumper without the ribs on the back, another supplier to fords assembly line? They have often been considered aftermarket.

kubes40    -- 03-16-2014 @ 6:21 AM
  Private message sent...

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-16-14 @ 9:56 AM

wmgmitchell    -- 03-16-2014 @ 6:51 AM
  No question that the bumper without the ribs is an aftermarket part. The bumper was on the car when I bought it and I've been trying to replace it with an original part, but it's proving to be a challenge and a source of frustration.

Bill

wmgmitchell    -- 03-16-2014 @ 9:44 AM
  Mike, I sent you an email and a pm.

Bill

kubes40    -- 03-16-2014 @ 10:00 AM
  Bill, From the pictures it appears to be rear (ONLY) for a wagon or pick up.

Fred A    -- 06-24-2014 @ 1:21 PM
  Reading the comments about the bumpers with the wider lines on the back side motivated me to look at a bumper off of my long gone '41 pickup. They are the wider style and have bumper guards of the '41 special style which we believed to be from commercials years ago. I know this proves little to a more precise Kube standard, but using the Ford parts record still leaves the possibility of the commercial in '41 could have shared bumpers from another source with the '41 specials. I do know the more complex style of the '41 super dlx and the associated guards. For me the issue is not clear. Thanks: Fred A

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7112