Topic: Any idea what this bumper belongs to?

wmgmitchell    -- 03-04-2014 @ 4:30 PM
  Mike, I bought a bumper on eBay that was described as an original part for a 40 Deluxe. When it arrived, it had a half inch indentation that extended the length of the bumper in the center. The seller says that the Deluxe had the indention and the Standard was plain with no indention.

All the 40 bumpers I've seen are plain with no indention. Is the seller right and if they aren't, do you know what car this bumper was on?

Thanks very much.

Bill

kubes40    -- 03-05-2014 @ 5:48 AM
  Bill, If that's the bumper I recall seeing, I had sent the seller an email telling him it was NOT 1940.
It's '39.
Personally, I'd file a dispute with eBay and demand a full refund.
All 1940 passenger models used the identical bumper. It was smooth on the front and fit bot front and rear.

wmgmitchell    -- 03-05-2014 @ 6:55 AM
  Mike, thanks very much for the information. Not sure whether this is the same one you saw, but luckily the seller has offered to take it back and send me an original "Standard" bumper at their expense.

Bill

trjford8    -- 03-05-2014 @ 8:40 AM
  Bill, I wonder what the seller means by a "standard" bumper. There is no difference between a "standard" or a "deluxe" bumper.

wmgmitchell    -- 03-05-2014 @ 4:16 PM
  The seller thinks that the bumper with the indention is for the 40 Deluxe and that the bumper with the plain face is for the 40 Standard. Of course, we now know better.

Bill

TomO    -- 03-06-2014 @ 7:55 AM
  Bill,

I would have the seller send me a photo of the bumper, so I would not have to pay return shipping on 2 wrong bumpers.

The front and rear bumpers on a 40 are different, so make sure that you are getting the bumper that you need. Have him measure the distance between the bolt holes and give you this information.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-6-14 @ 8:05 AM

wmgmitchell    -- 03-06-2014 @ 5:29 PM
  Tom, thanks for the tip.

I note that Drake and the other vendors off re only one bumper for both the front and rear. Is there a difference in the hole positions between the original and the repop bumpers?

Bill

42merc    -- 03-07-2014 @ 7:41 AM
  Tom O
Front & rear bumpers on a '40 are the same bumper.

42merc

TomO    -- 03-07-2014 @ 7:46 AM
  Bill,

I gave you wrong information. The bumper bar is the same for both the front and rear bumpers on the 40 Ford. I was thinking of the Mercury when I wrote the reply.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7095