Topic: Firewall question

FRITZ47    -- 03-08-2013 @ 9:51 AM
  We are doing a cosmetic restoration of my '40 Ford convertible, and are wondering what this part is called and what is the function? See picture attached. The previous owner (now deceased) placed an aerosol paint can lid over the top of this component and it looked OK, although for sure not original. Is something else requred and if so, where can it be purchased?

Thanks, Fritz47

JTHOMPSON    -- 03-08-2013 @ 10:15 AM
  It's the inlet (to the passenger compartment) for the hot air heater.

FRITZ47    -- 03-08-2013 @ 12:26 PM
  Thank you. I know about the common hot water heaters and this car does not have one, but I sure don't know about a hot air heater or what it looks like or where to purchase? Would all 1940 Fords that have this opening have a hot air heater, or would it have been blocked? I once had a cast-iron manifold heater on my Model A, and that is the only one that I have ever seen that did not operate with hot water.

Fred

kubes40    -- 03-08-2013 @ 12:37 PM
  Fred,
The earlier response was dead on... that is part of the hot air heater system.
Parts? Try "1935fordtn" on eBay, aka Mike Driskell. One heck of a nice guy that has a LOT of hot air heater parts.
I am betting he has everything you may need.
Originally (if the 40 did not have a hot air heater) there was a "blank" in the dash (cowl) that would have been knocked out if a hot air heater were to be installed.
Picture attached is a 39 but the dash (cowl) is the same as a 40 in this respect.

Lincoln    -- 03-08-2013 @ 2:23 PM
  These Hot Air Heaters were an Accessory and could have been either Factory installed or Dealer installed. The dash Register you show is just one of about 2 dozen different parts that made up the complete heater, Inside of the car, there were controls, air outlet plenums, and Defroster hardware. There were more heater parts that mounted inside the engine compartment (exhaust pipes, heating unit, radiator shroud, blower, air silencer, etc.). Someone evidently removed all but the Register on your car, but left it there to partially close up the large hole left behind.
If interested in completing the Hot Air Heater installation, email me at idalinc@windstream.net, as I have some heater parts (and maybe even a complete NOS heater still in its original box).
Lincoln

FRITZ47    -- 03-08-2013 @ 6:32 PM
  Thanks for all of the detailed information on this. Now I know why the previous owner put a cap on the inlet pipe! After checking further, and seeing pictures of all of the air heater mechanism, decided to do the same. We are in NE Ohio, but this car will never be driven in the winter anyhow, so "case closed". At least we now know the purpose of the inlet pipe in center of firewall, as we could not figure it out.

I purchased this car in December, and it is very solid (not even one spot of rust through). However the paint had some nicks here and there and had a dent in the right-rear fender and another smaller dent in the right-front fender. The first time I backed up the car I quickly realized the reason for the dent in the right rear fender (zero visibility). I ordered a pair of side view mirrors, but heard that even with a right-hand mirror, visibilty is still bad.

We thought perhaps we could get away with buffing and some touchup, but decided instead to go for a new paint job - removing the hood to detail the engine compartment and also removing the running boards, door handles, bumpers, trim, etc. A new set of runing boards is on backorder from Bob Drake, although the originals were not too bad.

We ordered in the same (as original) maroon paint and should have it all finished and back together in a couple of weeks. I will post some pictures after completion.

Here is a picture taken yesterday as it now sits. Other than straightening the two dents and doing a LOT of sanding, no body work was required. Car still needs some more sanding and a sealer coat of epoxy primer followed by acrylic enamel with hardener....Then more color sanding and buffing. We have our own restoration shop and car museum at work (TP Tools in Canfield, Ohio). Car museum: See www.tipcars.us

Interior is perfect, but door panels were warped at the bottom, so am ordering a new set of door panels from LeBaron Bonney. I called Mac's but they were not willing to sell the door panels only. A new Benton Gray floor mat is on order from Dennis Carpenter. along with a new Taupe Mat for my '36 convertible, so when finished, we will have a very nice pair (both maroon).

Fritz

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5804