Topic: Just so we're clear... (Mike Kubarth)

kubes40    -- 03-09-2012 @ 5:33 PM
  Guys, please understand that I am doing my absolute best to deliver the most complete, comprehensive and accurately written compilation of how our '40 Fords were intended to be built.
With that said, if any of you have any advise, knowledge, or simply question what I have found, TELL ME!
Don't be shy. With that input I will be better suited to offer a better final 'product'.
I know enough about 1940 Fords and the Ford manufacturing processes to realize there is certainly much I do not know.
While realizing the difficulties involved to document everything, I want as many 'missing pieces' to this "puzzle' filled in as possible.

Just know that I am open and listen...

Kind regards to all...
Mike Kubarth

Stroker    -- 03-10-2012 @ 10:12 AM
  Mike:

While I grew up with a 40 ton and a half truck, I've always been a fan of all 40's.
Best friends owned 40 standards, a 40 sedan delivery, and a 40 deluxe coupe. Lot's of "things" were done to these to make them faster, but above all they were absolute gems appearance-wise to me. At one time, I even considered grafting 40 front-end sheet metal onto my 38 wagon, just to make it more attractive.

So...I've thankfully outgrown that phase (1950's), and have found myself concentrating upon bringing my 38 back to as close to original as practicable. Thanks to Gary Mallast's excellent book, I've been able to un-do a lot of mistakes made in the past.

I have the greatest faith that you will present to the Club an equally responsible, well-documented book that is worthy of the Club's stamp of approval. If there is a lasting heritage for the future of this club, it is our emphasis upon correct preservation, which the books really help facilitate.

Gary, in my opinion set a high standard, since he didn't speculate on anything. If there was documentation, he provided it. If there wasn't, he didn't attempt to insert his opinion or bias. You appear to be following the same template, and I believe your book will be worth the wait. You have the advantage over most, in that you have been a hands-on restorer for a long time. Much of what you have stated in
this series of threads applies to many years before and after the 40 model year.

Keep doing things just the way you have been. I don't think anyone contemplating a 40 restoration or refurbishment would want it any other way.

Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4432