Topic: 4:11 ring & pinion

hardtop25    -- 12-02-2009 @ 6:15 PM
  my '39 ford vintage hardtop project is being set up for 4:11 rear ratio...
does such an animal exist? what was the application? where would i find
a gear set? currently have complete banjo style housing etc i believe to be
3:78. based on casing stamp. driveshaft direct to pinion, some one told
me that was a merc. thanks.

ford38v8    -- 12-02-2009 @ 8:58 PM
  Hardtop, I'm sure there's someone out there who will be very pleased to
trade his 4.11 for your 3.78, as the preferable street gears are 3.54 or
3.78. You might also consider 4.44, which is available also?

Alan

unclemark    -- 08-01-2010 @ 4:51 PM
  I may have 4.11s or 3.78 in good shape that I will be pulling out of my panel so I can install 3.54s.

Let me know if you have an interest.

40 Coupe    -- 08-02-2010 @ 5:45 AM
  4:11 is one of the standard and popular gear ratios you should have no problem finding one in good condition

supereal    -- 08-02-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  The 4:11 gear set is useful mostly in hilly country, as it produces a top speed below 50 mph before it runs out of engine. The "standard" ratio is 3:78, a good compromise for city and highway use. The 3:54 will run faster on the hiway, but tends to lug in town. The flathead engine produces the best overall power between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm, and rear end gearing and tire size has a big effect on this range. With hiway speeds increasing, I'd consider an overdrive. I don't understand how your car could be "set up" for a 4:11, as all cars run straight thru the transmission in high gear, and the only difference is the rear ratio.

trjford8    -- 08-03-2010 @ 7:31 PM
  Bob,hardtop 25 is building a race car. Out here the early cars used for the oval dirt track were called "Hardtops".Go to this website and you'll see some old photos; http://vallejospeedwayhardtops.homestead.com. This is where I spent a lot of Saturday nights there watching these races. The fights in the pits were just as much fun to watch as the races!

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-3-10 @ 7:34 PM

supereal    -- 08-04-2010 @ 10:03 AM
  Tom: Much of my misspent youth was at the area dirt tracks, with the rest of the week devoted to putting the car back together after a race or two. The most successful 1/4 mile car we had used a rear axle from a '38 3/4 ton pickup (the one with the torque tube)that used a 5:83 ratio. With that, we could run in high gear, rather than second, as most others did. As a bonus, the full floating axle ended the broken axle problem most had with the old style housings. The car was a '34 five window that had caught on fire at some time. Ah, those were the days!

trjford8    -- 08-05-2010 @ 9:25 AM
  Bob, the guys out here ran in second gear. They had a strap on the dash that hooked onto the shifter that would hold it in place. I do remember later that the rear ends were chnged to the 3/4 floating style. A guy in Santa Rosa, Ca. has restored an old hardtop. It runs the "Bings Speed Shop" on the side. "Bings' was the place to go in that area to have a hot flathead built.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=397