Topic: fender underside paint

Wolfie    -- 07-21-2011 @ 2:36 PM
  I know that the original paint color for the underside of the fenders is body color,but black is acceptable. I'm sure the original color probably would have been gloss. My exterior is not black, but I'm going to paint the underside of the fenders black so should it be gloss or semi-gloss? Thanks!

kubes40    -- 07-21-2011 @ 6:32 PM
  Hi Wolfie,
As you are not concerned with authenticity, the color and sheen should be whatever pleases you.
I guess I don't understand the (need for) this question.

Stroker    -- 07-22-2011 @ 4:00 PM
  Wolfie:

When I painted the undersides of my 38 Station Wagon Fenders, I primed, and then painted them with the Desert Sand finish coat that is correct for my car. Because I live in the country, I then coated the undersides with "Rock Guard" clear, (which is often seen as the topcoat on the rocker panels of modern SUV's). This "rubbery" pebble-finish, clear-coat, is supposed to reduce the impact damage caused by rocks thrown out of the tire treads. Since our old Fords don't have plastic inner fender-liners, any rock that exits the tread has the potential of producing a "protuberance" visible on the outside of the fender.

To a small degree, the "Rock Guard" sort of cushions the impact. The downside: if you have to make a repair, this stuff must be ground off, much like undercoating. I believe it will help reduce
rock damage, but I haven't driven it enough since I applied it to give you any quantitative results.

Wolfie    -- 07-22-2011 @ 8:56 PM
  Just as Kubes said, it's my choice so I'll go with the gloss finish. Stroker's use of the Rock Guard is very interesting and I like it.

ford38v8    -- 07-22-2011 @ 9:59 PM
  I can confirm that rocks do damage on the underside of fenders. I have a small star ding in the fender behind my rear tire. No clue as to when it happened, I only know it didn't appear by magic. From the size of this star, on these thick fenders, I don't know how much a rubbery coating would have helped, though.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=3439