Topic: Metal Clips

kenburke    -- 11-13-2009 @ 2:20 PM
  On a 40 (other years as well) I have been told that there are these three metal clips at to top of the engine that support various electrical wires for the engine. The clips are attached to the spark plug wire
tubes. Can these items be ID'd for type and location. And if they are being reproduced. Thanks

40guy    -- 11-13-2009 @ 5:34 PM
  The clips you speak of fit around the drivers side wire loom. They are not quite a complete circle, are turned outward on the bottom edges and "springy" with a round top that the wireing runs through. The back clip is larger in size than the other two. It goes on the rear of the loom. The middle clip is, well near the middle and the generator wires branch off here. The front clip is around the front of the loom and the coil wire branches from here. The locations are not precise. I don't know if they are being repro. or not. I found n.o.s. at a swap meet. Hope this helps.

kenburke    -- 11-13-2009 @ 6:18 PM
  Thanks 40Guy. Carpenter has something. I'll start collecting/finding these items.

kubes40    -- 11-14-2009 @ 5:52 AM
  Ken,
['40guy ] gave you a pretty good idea of the shape of the clips. They were originally made of spring steel. I believe what is currently being sold (reproduction) is the clip that goes towards the rear of the left conduit. It holds the wiring harness in place
on a '40. You require three clips total. The one to the very back (left side) is wide, about 5/8". The area that holds the wiring harness down is perhaps a diameter of 5/16". The next clip is the same width, about 5/8". It is also on the left side. It should be located a bit forward of the carburetor. It has a very small area to hold only one wire (generator)in place. That area has a diameter of perhaps 1/8". The third clip, also on the left side is located near the front of the tube. Placed approximately where the tube begins to curve downwards toward the distributor. This clip is the narrow one. About 1/2" wide, it only holds down one wire (coil wire) so the area for that is about 1/8" diameter.
All clips are raven black finish.

kenburke    -- 11-14-2009 @ 9:17 AM
  Great. Thanks everyone.

40larry    -- 11-17-2009 @ 10:09 PM
  I can shed more light on the question regarding these clips as used on the 1940 Ford. There are a total of three clips used with two of the larger opening which have part number 91A-10882 and a single smaller capacity clip having part number 48-10882. All three clips are about 5/8 inch wide. The larger clips hold the wire bundle containing the generator, temperature sender and coil wires. The smaller clip only holds the coil wire. This information can be found in the Ford Chassis Parts List dated May 1, 1940 on page 96.

Model B    -- 03-07-2010 @ 8:42 AM
  Mike, Getting back to the original question..."Are the metal clips being reproduced or not?" The 3rd clip is what, I believe, is being reproduced as the #48-10882. Mac's catalog has it listed and indicated that it takes 3 of the same clip. It would make sense that first clip (nearest the firewall) would have a larger loop to hold the wire harness to the conduit. Are these larger clips available anywhere that you know of? I believe Larry C. has given the part numbers for these above. Thanks, Pat

This message was edited by Model B on 3-7-10 @ 8:43 AM

kubes40    -- 03-11-2010 @ 6:21 AM
  Pat, As far as I am aware there is only one of the
clips being reproduced. It appears Drake sells a set of three but I can't tell from the illustration in his catalog if they are correct.
I'd be apprehensive to purchase a set from him until I knew for certain regardless of what his ad states...

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-11-10 @ 9:40 AM

KENNYB    -- 04-14-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  THE COIL WIRE CLIP IS AVAILABLE SEVERAL PLACES. THE OTHER TWO I GOT FROM THE CLIP MAN (519)238-8643

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=300