Topic: 1940 Ford Radiator Mounting Help

MrPhat40    -- 01-28-2011 @ 1:30 PM
  Dear Early V-8'rs,
Your knowledge has helped me greatly in the past, and I now have another request.
I am in the middle of another project with my 1940 Deluxe coupe.
The radiator developed a leak so it was removed and rebuilt. In the process of removal I noted that the way in which the former owner had mounted the radiator was with a simple nut and bolt. I ordered a radiator mounting kit form Drake. What showed up was a pad, bolt, nylock nut, washer, and spring.
Could one of you much more knowledgeable than myself describe the sequence for installing this system?
I assume the pad goes between the radiator mounting tab and the ear on the frame. Given that how does the spring and bolt mount? Spring on top of the tab with the head of the bolt exposed and the nut on the bottom? Does the washer go on the bolt head or the nut side? Any direction would be most appreciated.

sincerly yours,
Al S

40guy    -- 01-28-2011 @ 6:22 PM
  There are two very thin pads that go on each side of the large pan under the radiator. These pads go between that pan and the frame. A bolt goes through the radiator ear, frame, pad, pan, spring, castle nut, and cotter pin.

40guy    -- 01-28-2011 @ 6:27 PM
  Also, if I were you I would order the correct stuff from Roy Nacewicz in Carlton MI. I'm not aware of a washer anywhere on this assembly.

kubes40    -- 01-29-2011 @ 5:53 AM
  To clarify, one rubber pad is placed between the frame and the radiator mount on each side.
There are thin pads made of duck cloth that go between the lower grille pan and the frame. They are the same pads that are beneath the front seat 'feet' and floor pan as well as between the engine pans and frame.
Original (factory installed) the bolt went UP through the bottom and the castile nut was within the engine compartment atop the radiator bracket. The flat washer was between the lower radiator pan and bolt head.
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-29-11 @ 5:15 PM

kenburke    -- 02-12-2011 @ 2:52 PM
  Hi Mike,
On the duck cloth, do you cut it to fit the pan sections with anything showing. And I want to personally thank you on the radiator bolt assembly info, because now I have to take that stuff off to install it per Mike. It was the washer. Badgers won. Thanks Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2509