Topic: 1940 Convertible spare tire bracket

kubes40    -- 12-12-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  I'd like to offer a bit more detail to the answer recently published in the V8 Times. That answer was submitted by Alan Darr in response to a question posed by William Means.
As a 'side note' I would like to caution all that when using the 'Green Bible' to look up parts for your '40, you must keep in mind that the parts listed within that book are service replacement parts and while they certainly would fit and function properly, there is a great chance they would not be identical to what was factory installed upon your vehicle. Also, using a 1938 parts book is (obviously) useless to find 1940 parts
Anyway, hopefully, this will aid you Mr. Means as well as others...
There was but one bracket utilized for the 1940 Ford convertible spare tire hold down. It was painted (dipped) gloss black. A special bolt & nut was used with this bracket. The 'foot' of the bolt was placed within a sheet metal loop spot welded to the trunk floor. Holding the bolt within that loop was a plain steel cotter key.
I have included a photo of a NOS spare tire clamp.
Fordially,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MikeJ    -- 12-13-2010 @ 4:41 PM
  Hi Mike,

Now that you are the master of attaching pictures how about a picture of that special nut that holds the bracket to the bolt?

On the subject of the hold-down my '40 convertible (don't tell my wife, she thinks it's hers!) has the spare tire hold-down bracket offset toward the driver side. I have been told that it should be in the middle but the loop that is welded to the floor doesn't show evidence of ever being moved. The car is an early build with lift-up ashtrays and NOV 39 dated glass (don't know if it's the original glass or not). Have you ever seen them offset like this?

kubes40    -- 12-14-2010 @ 6:46 AM
  Wow! I attach one photo and I'm a pro? COOL! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke
I've seen the loop welded off center on a number of very original (unmolested) cars. So, I'd say yours (your wife's) is just fine as is.
I'd like to know... is the windshield wiper motor bracket spot welded to the cowl on your car?
Best regards,
Mike

MikeJ    -- 12-14-2010 @ 9:09 AM
  Mike,

Thanks for the "nutty" picture. That's the nut I thought but I wasn't quite sure.

Yes, the wiper motor bracket is spot welded, not bolted. The reinforcing ribs in area are also a different shape with slightly different curves. The car also has some other differences in the firewall area.

Thanks,
Mike

kubes40    -- 12-14-2010 @ 6:12 PM
  Mike J.,
I sent you a private message... we need to talk

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-14-10 @ 6:12 PM

Lincoln    -- 12-17-2010 @ 7:28 PM
  Thanks for on the info on the 1940 FORD Convert. hardware that held the spare in place, particularly the clamp as I did not know what it looked like when I submitted an article to THE V-8 TIMES in 2008. The article is entitled "Spare Wheel & Tire: Locks & Bands", which covers 1936-40, and may be published in next month's issue. The special nut shown as part of the hold down is also of interest. What size thread does your nut have? According to THE 1938-39 BOOK, the nut part number could have been 78-1462-B. It is threaded 3/8"-24 on the chamfered/wheel end of the nut only, while the other end is unthreaded. Besides the 40 Convert. this nut also fits all but one of the 1937 models, and all 1938 Coupes, per the 5/1/40 Chassis Parts & Parts Price List. The book also describes another nut 78-1462-A and mentions it, as well as nut 77-1462, as being used alternately with 78-1462-B, which means to me that either could have been used on the 1940 Convert. Is that a correct take, because the parts list does not include the 40 Conv. for nuts 78-1462-A and 77-1462? The 78-1462-A nut is threaded clear through, but is 1/2"-20. Nut 77-1462 is threaded in the same manner.
"IF" both thread sizes were used, that means there were two sizes of hold down bolts. Have you run across both these sizes?
On another related item the parts lists only a spare lock assembly for the 1940 commercials and not the passengers. The lock assemblies listed are 48-18312-B and 01A-18312. Do you have any details on both these locks? My V-8 TIMES article covers two different styles which I have run across, and I had to make some assumptions as to which style is the "48" and which is "01A". I "believe" the "48" had a round opening on the top "visible" face of the lock, while the "01A" did not. Except for one being of brass and the other of iron material, they look the same otherwise.
Thanks,
Lincoln.

v8teditor    -- 01-13-2011 @ 6:18 AM
  The article Bob Lincoln authored on Spare Tire Locks and Brackets WILL appear in the January/February V-8 TIMES. At 10 pages, it's jam-packed with photos detailing the brackets, straps and nuts for trunk mounted spare tire in the V-8s up through 1940. Hopefully this will clear up many questions on these items. You should have the magazine around Valentine's Day. It's at the printers now and I'm waiting for the final proof.

TomO    -- 01-13-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  The 77-1462A nut was used on the 39-40 sedans, the 78-1462A was used on the 38-40 coupes and convertible and the 78-1462B was used on the 38 sedans and 39 convertible sedan according to the Oct 15, 1939 Chassis parts catalog.

The May 1940 and later books show that the 1940 convertible used 78-1462B, not the 78-1462A or the 77-1462A.

From this information, I would say that the Oct 15, 1939 catalog had a misprint and there was only one hold down bolt and nut size. The final proof would be the engineering drawings.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2300