Topic: Ignition restoration

chrismac    -- 11-26-2010 @ 5:23 AM
  I'm restoring the steering column on a 1940 Ford and am scratching my head on how the key switch and accompanying mechanism is removed. It looks to be a difficult and destructive process. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this correctly? I know the tublar column is painted interior brown to the point it passes through the firewall. Is the bracket that secures the column to the dash also painted brown?
Thanks,
Chris

kubes40    -- 11-26-2010 @ 6:47 AM
  Hi Chris, The ENTIRE column is painted the same color as your dash. Brown for a standard, maroon for a deluxe. The lock mechanism / column drop is painted the same color.
The clamps (one at the shifting forks and one at the steering box) remain in their natural finish - NO paint.
To remove the drop mechanism you must remove the two screws that clamp it to the column. Drilling them out is the only way. Be careful as the surrounding areas is softer that the screws and your drill will have a tendency to 'wander' to the soft area. There are 'tricks' to make this easy but they are difficult to describe in a brief way. I am a retired tool make so I had some experience with this kind of dilemma

chrismac    -- 11-27-2010 @ 5:44 AM
  So the steering column is a single color inside the cab and in the engine compartment? And the clamps are bare metal; no plating? My column has no shift mechanism as MH installed a 4 speedd truck transmission with stick. Once I remove the 2 mounting bolts will the key switch pop out? I removed the detent screw, spring and ball but can't figure out how to remove the chrome plated cylinder that the key switch actuates. Complicated stuff for 1940!
Thanks,
Chris

kubes40    -- 11-27-2010 @ 1:12 PM
  Hey Chris, I forgot you are doing a MH with the four speed.
The clamp at the bottom (steering gear) is natural finish.
The entire column was painted the same color - to match the dark part of your instrument panel.
The switch disassembly is kind of tricky. I suggest if the plating is good, you mask around it. If not, let me know. I have some great directions around here that Terry Boich sent me a while back. I can find them and forward to you.
Mike

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-27-10 @ 1:12 PM

chrismac    -- 11-27-2010 @ 3:17 PM
  Hi Mike,
I have the mounting bracket with switch off the column but am not sure how to remove the tumbler and cylinder from the bracket. The cylinder is pitted and needs to be replated.
Thanks,
Chris

kubes40    -- 11-28-2010 @ 6:09 AM
  The cylinder is rather easy to remove. There is a small 'breakaway' bolt at the very bottom of the column drop. You'll need to remove that. Do so carefully as the drill will want to 'walk' towards the soft (surrounding) metal.
When replacing, I might suggest you drill that hole out and tap for 1/4-28. Put a short, pointed end set screw in there to hold the cylinder. Put a little putty over the end of the set screw and paint a dull silver to imitate a broken off bolt.
If ever you should have to get that cylinder out in the future, this little trick makes it so much easier.
Mike

chrismac    -- 12-04-2010 @ 11:42 AM
  Sounds pretty simple. Thanks for the instructions!
Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2238