Topic: 40' Wiper motor

40guy    -- 11-25-2010 @ 8:28 PM
  Mike: The other day I was going to show my kids how the wipers work on my 40'. However, they would hardly move. The unit was new rebuilt by a fellow named Kent Jaquith??? This was 16 years ago but the car is a "trailer queen" and the last time I ran the wipers was at a Early Ford Meet about four years ago. Is there anything I can do to rejuvinate this thing short of a new motor? Hope you had a great Thanksgiving sir.

kubes40    -- 11-26-2010 @ 6:54 AM
  Good morning! I have found that a few drops of very light oil (sewing machine oil) place in the wiper motor nearly always does the trick. Only a few!
Work the paddle back and forth a number of times by hand and hopefully it'll work like a charm.
Best regards,
Mike

40guy    -- 11-26-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on it.

trjford8    -- 11-26-2010 @ 6:03 PM
  A few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil will also do the trick.

40guy    -- 11-26-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  Thanks. I was wondering about MMO because I have plenty of that.

TomO    -- 11-27-2010 @ 8:28 AM
  Check with Kent before you add any lubricant to a ww motor he has rebuilt. He does not use the standard leather paddles that were in the original motors.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-06-2010 @ 4:58 PM
  AUTO TRANS OIL,will not harm the rubber paddles,or leather,
I would remove the arms and blades.
squirk a little oil in there,move the shaft back and forth with the engine off,and hose disconnected,
once it is freed let it run for a while,with arms and baldes off. so it gets lubed up well, and is free,
drive the car,MORE,,,
my 3cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2010 @ 5:15 PM
  37ragtop, I'll repeat Tom's suggestion: Check with Kent before using any lubricant. His neoprene paddles shouldn't require lubricant at all, and may be damaged by using anything he doesn't recommend. Any supplier or rebuilder would rightfully void a warranty for tampering with it. Call him and send it to him to check. I'm sure he stands behind his work.

Alan

kubes40    -- 12-07-2010 @ 7:16 AM
  Automatic transmission fluid will swell and eventually rot any rubber part.
I had a client (his daughter) put some in the master cylinder of their '70 Cuda. Much work and many $ later, all was repaired. Repaired as in "all rubber parts were replaced...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2236