Topic: 40' color

40guy    -- 10-31-2010 @ 6:53 PM
  There is a 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe listed on Ebay Motors. Some original paper work, 3 owners I believe. The ad states the car is the rare {and original} Sahara Sand color. The car's history seems to be pretty well documented. It further states that not too many Fords were painted this color. I have never heard of such a color for the 1940 car, but I value your opinion. Possible special order?

TomO    -- 11-01-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Sahara Tan was a 1940 Mercury color, not offered as a standard color for Ford.

Tom

kubes40    -- 11-01-2010 @ 7:49 AM
  In two words? EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL!
#1 - Sahara Sand was NOT a '40 Ford color offering as you know. Also, it was NOT a '39 color nor a '41 color. Those facts make it EXTREMELY difficult to fathom that Ford would have geared up their assembly line to paint one (or even a few) cars this 'rare' color in 1940.
* Ford did have some rare offerings but did their best to discourage their sales. Cases in point: Red leather in Ford convertibles and ANY leather in closed cars.
Akin to Pontiac Judges and Camaro Super Sports... many more exist today than were ever in fact built.
While the two aforementioned offerings (red leather, open cars and leather in closed cars)did in fact exist as an available 'option' (documented), it was also clearly documented that the dealer should ONLY offer these as a 'last ditch' effort to avoid the loss of a sale.
I have yet to see ANY mention of any additional colors being added to avoid such sales loss. The cost to do so would have been prohibitive.

Bottom line: NO WAY. Perhaps the car was repainted decades ago?
I'd personally have to see POSITIVE proof (documentation) to give even a hint of consideration to this claim.

I looked at the ad on Ebay... again, from the many little details I was able to spot in the photos, I have to reiterate, in my opinion - NO WAY. The car appears to have had a decent but definitely amateur restoration at some point.

My two cents...Hope it helps.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-1-10 @ 9:14 AM

40guy    -- 11-01-2010 @ 10:22 AM
  Yeah; thats what I thought. Thanks Mike.

trjford8    -- 11-01-2010 @ 8:23 PM
  That particular car has been for sale on numerous websites (Craigslist, etc) for many months. I agree with Mike that the color is not a factory color for Fords. I suspect a lot of people have looked at this car and passed on it. Nice 40 Ford coupes don't last too long for sale, even in today's market.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2109