Topic: Top Bows - Covered or No?

fatfender    -- 10-25-2010 @ 4:21 PM
  I have a top kit from LB for my '40 and the instructions state that "#1 and #2 metal bows get covered between the notched areas". Also, they state that the rear main bow gets covered with bow drill fabric. Now when I read the 1940 Ford Book (the Bennie Bottle et al book), para 3 states that the second bow from the front is covered with top fabric under the middle portion of the top. Pictures in this book indicate that the rear 2 bows are uncovered. Which is correct?
Thanks for any help.

Fat Fender

kubes40    -- 10-26-2010 @ 11:52 AM
  Correct? Here we go:
The front wooden bow is completely covered as is the rear wooden bow. The 'flat' steel bow is covered in the center. That is, between the flat area and where the bow 'bends' at each side.
Hope this helps clear up and misinformation. While I believe LB sells the best 'kits' available, one must be aware there are discrepancies between what they produce and what is authentic.
My regards,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fatfender    -- 10-26-2010 @ 3:20 PM
  Thanks for the reply Mike. Your answer is the same as the LB kit instructions. The 1940 (Bennie Bootle) book has the rear 2 bows uncovered. I would have thought that covered would be correct since it looks better.
Brad (Fat Fender)

supereal    -- 10-29-2010 @ 9:59 AM
  When I restored my '47 convertible, the instructions from L-B did include the covering of the header and back bow (the wooden covered one) for appearance, with the top fabric supplied. It also specified covering the centers of the other bows out to where they turned down. When the top was installed, I realized why this is done. It protects the top fabric from chafing damage as the wind causes the top to move, as well as assuring a smooth surface when the top is raised. Regardless of how well the top is installed, it will move as speed increases.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2071