Topic: Turn signal wire harness

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-24-2023 @ 3:39 PM
  I’m wiring the rear turn signals on my ‘40 Ford Deluxe, (2 rear lights). I’m using a kit from Vintage Auto Garage. Good kit, unclear (my opinion) instructions.
Questions;
1. I have a red ‘power’ wire that is connected to the brake light switch. The brake light switch has 2 legs. I leg (green wire) goes to firewall. Second leg, (green wire ) goes to the rear. There is also a black wire that’s not connected to this switch. Which of the green wires gets disconnected or spliced into, with the red wire?
2. When I get to the wire harness at the rear, I have two wires ( green & black). Each of these two wires go to the rear lights. And moving to passenger light it splices off to the license plate light. From my turn signal kit, I also have two wires (orange & brown) that I am to connect into the rear lights. I color for each light. That’s where I get lost. Which wires do I connect to? The green or the black?

Any insight would be welcomed. Thank you. .

carcrazy    -- 11-24-2023 @ 9:18 PM
  When I installed a turn signal kit which included an emergency flasher system in a 1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor several years ago, the turn signal switch had seven wires coming from it.

These wires from the switch went to the following items:
1. Red wire to the Brake Light Switch
2. Yellow wire to Left Front Turn Signal Light
3. Orange wire to Left Rear Turn Signal Light - attaches to Green wire of tail light socket
4. Blue wire to "P" terminal of Flasher
5. Black wire to "L" terminal of Flasher
6. Brown wire to Right Rear Turn Signal Light - attaches to Green wire of tail light socket
7. Green wire to Right Front Turn Signal Light

The Flasher unit "X" terminal was connected though an inline 15 amp fuse to the Ignition Switch battery terminal

Hope this answers your questions.

JayChicago    -- 11-25-2023 @ 8:43 AM
  Av68
1. At the brake light switch, interrupt (cut) the green wire going to the rear. Connect your new red wire to the remaining length of green wire coming from the switch. (or better yet, use a bullet connector and connect your new red wire directly to the brake light switch) This will feed brake light power up through the turn signal switch, so when turn signal is activated the switch can interrupt brake light power to that individual bulb.
2. At the rear, splice into the green wires after the original junction point feeding over to the right side light. You splice one of your new wires into the green wire gong to the left light, and the other new wire into the green wire going over to the right light. The black wires are for the running lights, leave them as is.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-25-2023 @ 9:46 AM
  Just the direction I was looking for, especially at the brake-light switch. Many thanks to you and carcrazy! My Coupe is grateful as well ????

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-27-2023 @ 4:43 PM
  Please allow me one more question. Ive wired everything as outlined above. Everything works: brake lights, running light, flashers, hi & low beam’s & even license plate light. Except when I hit the left & right turn signals, I get flashers at front & back lights, not individual turn signals.
Any suggestions? My turn signal kit has a flasher tied into the harness. I have it grounded to the firewall. It’s plugged into the proper socket from the wire harness. The front turn signal wires have been spliced into with corresponding yellow & green wires.

JayChicago    -- 11-28-2023 @ 11:40 AM
  When all four lights are flashing, is the license plate light also flashing? (Trying to determine if the running light are getting powered.)

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-28-2023 @ 3:59 PM
  The license plate lights up with the running lights (light switch half way pulled out and fully pulled out). It does not flash at all. I get flashers when I turn on the flasher switch at the turn signal switch AND I get flashers when I turn on each turn signal. All other lights operate as they should.
My harness is wired to full time power directly to the positive battery terminal.
My 3 pronged flasher has 3 black wires coming from the harness into the flasher and one black wire exiting the flasher to a ground. It is a see thru (clear plastic). It is part #90651, 12V , fused flasher.

JayChicago    -- 11-28-2023 @ 4:55 PM
  Ok, good that it’s not feeding into running lights because that would be a real head-scratcher. And what you have described about the flasher module itself seems good.

But now I have no idea other than the signal switch is defective. Turn signal activation is instead (or also) activating the four-way flasher function. Any way to contact the manufacturer’s help line? Probably not, probably no one there who could speak English.

Anyone else ever experienced this particular problem with an aftermarket turn signal / four-way flasher ?

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-28-2023 @ 6:12 PM
  Thanks for your feedback. I bought my kit from Vintage Auto Garage. With past purchases, they have had good customer support with questions. I’ll let you know what they say.

Jdome    -- 11-28-2023 @ 7:00 PM
  I suspect you still have the either the front parking lights or rear brake lights (or both) tied together. You need to check to make sure you disconnected the old wire between paired lights. If you still have the park lights wired directly to the old park switch as originally, that is your problem, even if park sw is off. I didn't have the 8th wire to connect to park sw . So I modified my park light sockets for 2 filament bulbs, easy to do, and used the second filament for turn and left the old park circuit as it was connected to first filament.
Also make sure you dis connect the old wire between rear brake lights.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-29-2023 @ 2:38 PM
  Hmm. If I understand your directions, it seems like a good bit of modifications to a wire kit sold for use in my ‘40 coupe. But here’s what I did.
Per kit instructions, I spliced each of my front wires coming from the harness (yellow & green) into the existing wire leading to my 2 filament bulbs above the headlights. Should I have wired them direct & abandoned the existing connection on each side?
Then I wired my red power wire from the harness into the discharge ( leading to the rear) side of my brake light switch.
Then at the rear, I have 1 green wire which splits off with a green wire to each rear light. At each of those green wires that split off, I spliced in my orange & brown. wires. Orange to drivers side & brown to pass side. The license plate wire was left untouched. It’s fed from a black wire coming from the front of the car. But this license plate wire also has two other black wires spiced into it with both of those going to each taillight. So in essence all black wires are connected. I did not touch any of the black wires.
What do you think?

Jdome    -- 11-29-2023 @ 8:15 PM
  The brake light pigtail wires and parking light pigtails wires should be completely disconnected from the car's existing wire harness. The only (power) wires connected to those 4 filaments should be the appropriate L & R leads from the turn sw. The turn sw provides brake power or blinker power to L and R bulbs, depending on position of turn sw. The typical 7 wire switch does not have provision to switch the front bulbs between park power and blinker power so if you have stock single filament bulbs & sockets the park lights can no longer be used as park lights. There are turn switches with 8 or 9 wires that will do that or you can replace your original single park sockets with dual filament sockets. Wire the first filament of each socket to the original car wire harness and the second filaments to appropriate L / R blinker wire from turn sw.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 11-30-2023 @ 4:19 PM
  Jdome; I am
Leaving town thru December, so I can’t explore your directions until my return. When I return, I’ll touch base with you on what I did. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Av68@reagan.com    -- 02-11-2024 @ 4:54 PM
  Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge in responding to my turn signal questions. After much delay & life’s distractions, I finally got turn signals, flashers, head lights, license plate light & rear running lights. The only thing missing are front running lights. For now I’m going to take it as a win. I love this Forum!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16786