Topic: Which 1940 Coupe do I have?

MDWalker    -- 05-30-2023 @ 12:42 PM
  So unfortunately, the interior of my car was eaten by moths. Apparently the carpet is wool too?!.

I started taking interior out of the car, but it made me think of a question I've never really answered, do I have a coupe or a business coupe? My car has the split back seats, no opera seats behind, a package tray(which is not attached to anything) and it has two vertical supports in the trunk under the back window...I think, my spare is off to the right which makes me think its 2, need to go check.

Do I have a frankenstein?

Also I guess I'm gonna have to go custom interior because Lebaron Bonney is no longer around. I got a quote for 2k to have the seat redone in leather instead of the broadcloth or whatever it was the bugs ate. Does that sound right?

thx,

Matt

MDWalker    -- 05-30-2023 @ 1:59 PM
  pictures

kubes40    -- 05-30-2023 @ 2:02 PM
  Hi Matt,
From your photos it appears you have the business coupe. That is the model with the pair of small, folding auxiliary seats located directly behind the driver seat.
That package tray doesn't appear to be stock.
However, from your photos thus far, I can't quite tell if someone was attempting to make a coupe out of a business coupe or the other way around.
Can you attach a photo or two of the trunk area?
$2k for just the seat sounds only a tad high. Not crazy though.
I have attached photos of a coupe.
I am more than willing and able to help you figure out just what you have there and / or provide more photos of perhaps what you should have there.

Oh, from your photos, well me personally... I'd leave the interior, moth eaten intact.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-30-23 @ 2:07 PM

MDWalker    -- 05-30-2023 @ 2:11 PM
  here is the trunk. Looks like 2 angled supports on the sides and one to the right in the middle with spare attached to it.

After taking the seat out, I think I will leave it, it isn't that bad and I don't see any moth damage underneath. The rugs however are really bad so I might just rip out the front rugs and put my reproduction rubber mat down by itself. The back Im not sure yet. If it is indeed a business coupe I'd love to add some seats in back. I have 3 young kids and I can only take one at a time.

This message was edited by MDWalker on 5-30-23 @ 2:17 PM

kubes40    -- 05-30-2023 @ 3:07 PM
  By the floor (thanks for the latest photo) it appears this car began life as a business coupe.
Kinda odd that someone attempted to turn it into a coupe. Usually it's the other way around.

There should be carpeting in the rear area and a rubber mat (taupe) in the front seat area.
Jump seats do come up for sale now and then. Look for a complete set. In other words, all the brackets and the springs. I'd seen these advertised up to $1000. Those guys are dreaming. They actually sell around the $300 range.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MDWalker    -- 05-30-2023 @ 5:41 PM
  Do these look correct and complete?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225485062852?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rXYya7ZGQwi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_hSJL0qrSw-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They just bolt to the floor? I guess I should see bolt holes somewhere?

Thx

Matt

kubes40    -- 05-31-2023 @ 5:13 AM
  Matt, that pair seems to be pretty nice. Perhaps just a tad pricey but me, well, if I needed them, I'd grab this pair vs. waiting for a better deal to come along.

There should be signs of where these mounted near the side of the body on the floor. I don't have any decent photos of that area. Sorry.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 05-31-2023 @ 5:16 AM
  Your seat is for a Tudor. The Business Coupe did not have the footrest, they can be removed. The Business Coupe also had wood panels under the seat to block something on the floor from rolling to the front or rear. Yes look at the floor for holes to mount the opera seats. The photo you show of opera seats appears complete.
The floor of the two coupes vary to give the Business coupe more room in the rear. There is also a difference in the two body strainers in the trunk around the spare tire. Be aware there is also a difference between the very early coupes and the later coupes in this area.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 5-31-23 @ 5:19 AM

trjford8    -- 05-31-2023 @ 8:06 AM
  I have a '40 business coupe . My jump seats are mounted to the rear floor on studs that appear to be factory. The legs of the seats slip over the studs and are held with nuts and lock washers. Those seats on e-Bay look fairly complete and have the springs on the legs. Those springs, if missing or broken , are not available.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-31-23 @ 8:08 AM

MDWalker    -- 05-31-2023 @ 8:18 AM
  I am thinking I have a coupe not a business coupe based on:

1. I can't find any studs or holes where jump seats would go.
2. seat is from a Tudor so can't go off the seat.
3. the trunk area only has one vertical support which would insinuate Coupe not BC based on other posts I've found?

How does the shelf mount on a coupe? Mine isn't original but mounts with one screw on each side, that's it. Is that how the cushion would also mount in a BC? Actually, was there a cushion originally for the jump seats in a BC?

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 05-31-2023 @ 10:35 AM
  If you are looking to buy a pair of jump seats see attached. $265.00 plus postage lower 48 States only/

Thanks
Dave Pipp
Andover MN.
763-862-5873
Cpipp01@aol.com

kubes40    -- 05-31-2023 @ 12:04 PM
  Matt, If you'd pull the spare tire and mat out of the truck and post a photo of the floor, I could offer an answer with a bit more confidence. The floors between the two models are very different.
I have attached some decent photos of the coupe floor pan.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-31-23 @ 12:12 PM

MDWalker    -- 05-31-2023 @ 2:47 PM
  Photos of trunk...

kubes40    -- 05-31-2023 @ 3:42 PM
  Matt, thanks for the helpful photos. I now believe that yes, you have the coupe (package tray) model. I have attached three photos that depict the inner structure.
I can help you along if you choose to bring this car back to its authentic configuration.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MDWalker    -- 05-31-2023 @ 6:04 PM
  Thx for all the help in identifying my car.

I would like to return it to original but I'm guessing that finding a package tray, hinge and coupe seats must be very tough. I'm gonna do some googling.

Thx

Matt

kubes40    -- 06-01-2023 @ 6:26 AM
  You could make the package tray easy enough. The seats are fairly easy to come by.
I would suggest you post a wanted ad on the HAMB. I did a few years back and was offered numerous seats.
I may have some of the partition boards, etc.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16440