Topic: Cowl Vent Gasket

classiclover    -- 04-24-2023 @ 5:12 AM
  Greetings
Just tried to order a new Cowl Vent Gasket from Dennis Carpenter for my 40.. They advised me they are Out Of Stock. Any recommendations on another good source. Thanks in advance

Classic Lover

trjford8    -- 04-24-2023 @ 7:28 AM
  Try calling some of the vendors listed in the links section of this site.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 04-24-2023 @ 9:20 AM
  C & G Ford Parts and Bob Drake have in stock.

1940 Tom    -- 04-24-2023 @ 9:36 AM
  I second the motion on Bob Drake - 1-800-2213673. Part # 91A-7002330. Confirmed on their website this morning that the gasket is in stock. $21.99.

Good luck.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 06-02-2023 @ 7:27 AM
  Regarding installation of the cowl vent gasket, a Forum member previously mentioned a problem with getting the vent door to flatten-down and become water tight. I assume his spring loaded closure lever was properly functioning. If the new gasket is made to spec size and profile, that problem may relate to the specific gasket material used by the manufacturer (i.e. compressibility). As a solution, it was suggested temporarily placing a brick (weight) on the vent door (obviously not while driving the vehicle) for a while to get the gasket compressed and formed. I'm about to replace mine so we'll see.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 6-2-23 @ 7:30 AM

JayChicago    -- 06-02-2023 @ 1:07 PM
  Replaced mine a few years ago, then had to do it all over again due to my dumb mistake. First time used little adhesive to minimize risk of getting the nasty adhesive on the car. The seal won't fall up, right? Wrong! It leaked!

Then realized the seal sits down in a perfect gutter which stands full of water whenever the car gets wet, and can't depend on just compression of the gasket to make a water-tight seal under the gasket. Second time, made sure the new adhesive formed a complete thin layer under the gasket. Now is water-tight.

Drbrown    -- 07-03-2023 @ 10:08 AM
  Not a significant concern but I thought about the fact that water lays in the trough for the vent gasket without a way to drain-off. If one were concerned, one could drill a hole for drainage and figure-out a rubber drain hose connection to the adjacent engine compartment.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16369