Topic: Throwout Bearing

Anthony Backhaus    -- 01-09-2023 @ 5:05 PM
  Hello everyone, my name is Anthony and I have a 1946 Ford Coupe with a flathead V8. I am 17 years old and looking for advice about my throwout bearing. When I pushed the clutch in the last couple of weeks in the fall, it made a slight gravelly sound. I was wondering if it was reasonable to drive it until the throwout bearing fails or if I should replace it this winter.
Anthony

ford38v8    -- 01-09-2023 @ 5:47 PM
  Anthony, welcome ro our forum, and a big welcome also to your interest in Ford Flatheads!
If your gravelly sound is indeed from your throw out bearing, you won’t have to wait too long to hear it worsen, and confirmation will be from the feel of the pedal on your foot. It won’t hurt to wait for that confirmation, but you may also want to get the job done now before the driving season. When you’re ready, come on back here for step by step instructions to avoid extra work.
Also, as you found this website, please consider joining our club, and a regional group near you, wherever you are! ??

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 01-12-2023 @ 5:08 AM
  Anthony when the throwout makes noise it is already bad and ready to change. It can or may cause more damage or leave you stranded if driven further. Once you go through all the work to expose the bearing and change it you can save yourself some time and effort by changing the clutch and pressure plate plus the pilot bearing or bushing at the same time. Also change the spring that retracts the throwout, since they can brake. Once installed the clutch pedal linkage has to be adjusted so that the throwout does not touch the fingers on the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is not depressed. The adjustment is about 3/4" free pedal travel with the pedal against it's rubber stop. So make sure the stop is good and the pedal return spring. The bushings in the front of the transmission for the shaft that the clutch pedal rotates are often worn through and into the steel shaft if so the bushings and shaft can be replaced. All of this work should result in a job that will have lasting results.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-12-23 @ 5:18 AM

Anthony Backhaus    -- 01-16-2023 @ 6:41 AM
  Thank you, guys, so much for this information! I will be starting this project soon once I get a cherry-picker.
Thanks again,
Anthony Backhaus

sarahcecelia    -- 02-01-2023 @ 3:33 AM
  P.S "Throw out bearing" is SLANG! It is a "RELEASE BEARING; "because it" RELEASES THE CLUTCH."

Anthony Backhaus    -- 02-06-2023 @ 6:17 PM
  Since it is so much work to change the Clutch release bearing does anyone have suggestions on a good release bearing to purchase? Since I will have the engine out, I will also replace the rear main seal. I see you need a Chinese finger trap to pull the seal in, does anyone know where I can find one?
Thanks,
Anthony Backhaus

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16173