Topic: Sheet Metal Rattle

bo8109b    -- 01-03-2023 @ 2:46 PM
  For some time I've puzzled over a slight sheet metal rattle while driving. Recently recalled while replacing the clutch disc I reused the bolts attaching the pressure plate to the flywheel. I now know those standard 5/16 bolts should have been shoulder bolts. Before this old guy under takes changing out those bolts, tell me whether it's likely the cause of my sheet metal rattle. Carl

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-03-2023 @ 3:01 PM
  SHEET METAL RATTLE
you could take a rubber mallet and tap things till you hear a noise,
try hitting the bumpers , might be loose bolts, bumper guards etc,
try the muffler. maybe a broken baffle,
the clutch should not have a sheet metal noise,
does it go away when you push down the clutch pedal, ? or make a noise when the pedal is up ?
is it possible to give more information, !
hope this helps 37Ragtopman Maine

bo8109b    -- 01-03-2023 @ 4:42 PM
  Am thinking without shoulder bolts installed, the pressure plate might be slightly off center causing an imbalance condition resulting in vibrating sheet metal.

carcrazy    -- 01-03-2023 @ 10:05 PM
  It is possible that your diagnosis is correct. What make and model year car are you working on? If it is a 1949 or later Ford, changing the clutch pressure plate bolts is not too tough to do. Simply remove the inspection cover at the bottom of the bellhousing, remove and replace the bolts at the bottom of the flywheel leaving them slightly loose, rotate the flywheel 1/3rd of a revolution, repeat the operation, rotate the flywheel another 1/3rd of a revolution. After all of the new shoulder bolts have been installed, rotate the pressure plate back and forth by hand until all of the bolts can be turned all the way in. Now finally tighten all of the bolts to their required torque setting.

bo8109b    -- 01-04-2023 @ 7:48 AM
  It's a '40 sedan. And I know the routine of accessing those bolts. Since I'm an old guy, I'm here asking about this before tearing into this Ford.

same    -- 01-04-2023 @ 8:04 AM

Carl,front fenders,hood,sometghing in doors come loose? open doors bump withe heal of hand. Tom.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-04-2023 @ 8:55 AM
  I also had a thought, it might be a cracked clutch disc, causing the sheet metal rattle ?
my 2 CENTS 37Ragtopman, Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-4-23 @ 3:34 PM

trjford8    -- 01-05-2023 @ 7:59 AM
  A sheet metal rattle could be many things, but what comes to mind is the door stops. Many times the rubber on the end of the stop and the rubber sleeve inside the jamb become brittle and fall off. This causes the steel arm stop to rattle.

bo8109b    -- 01-14-2023 @ 2:33 PM
  As a follow up , I found that I could easily replace those pressure plate bolts through the transmission peep hole. Turns out the shoulder diameter of the new bolts are exactly the same as the threaded section. Therefore the old standard bolts held the pressure plate centered on the flywheel. Be looking elsewhere for that rattle. Carl

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16165