Topic: Converting to Negative ground six volts

plymboy    -- 09-02-2022 @ 12:18 PM
  Read an older article on converting to negative ground. The article says you just change the battery cables to negative ground and no other changes are necessary....but later it mentions changing the volt regulator...what about the voltage gauge?? Polerize? Can any of you experts chime in please

cliftford    -- 09-02-2022 @ 7:41 PM
  Why do you want to do this?

RAK402    -- 09-03-2022 @ 6:43 PM
  I have the same question as cliftford (above)-why would you want to do this?

Positive ground works fine.

The ignition system, instruments, radio, etc. are all set up for positive ground.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 9-3-22 @ 6:43 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 09-04-2022 @ 10:03 AM
  I don't think I have the whole story. If I retained the 6 volt battery I would leave everything positive ground. If I converted to 12 volts I would change to negative ground mostly to use later accessories. What are you doing?

Charlie Stephens

plymboy    -- 09-07-2022 @ 5:00 PM
  As one of you said we don't have the whole story...here goes I came into a reproduction script battery being told it fits 40 to 48 Ford. Once I got it it turns out be for 37-39 std so the poistve ground is where the negitive post is....if you reverse it the post locates properly as does the the big Ford script but now the post near the firewall is negative. Simple solution convert to NEG ground and use up the battery...later change it back
Questions:
is the distr/coil ok with this???
is the radio effected?
Polarize gen and regulator

carcrazy    -- 09-07-2022 @ 8:34 PM
  One solution is to buy longer cable(s) as required so you can keep the 6V positive ground setup and not create all these additional hassles.

juergen    -- 09-10-2022 @ 3:03 PM
  To answer your questions

The spark plugs work best when the electrons jump from hot to cold. Reversing the polarity reverses the jump unless you reverse the coil polarity.

The radio may be affected depending on the type of vibrator.

Yes, repolarize the regulator/generator.

The ammeter will read in the opposite direction unless you reroute the wiring.

cliftford    -- 09-10-2022 @ 6:29 PM
  I agree with carcrazy. That's what I would do.

ford38v8    -- 09-10-2022 @ 9:10 PM
  Yes, your radio will play music backwards and your gas pedal will light up the brake lights. I'm not sure about turn signals.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15923