Topic: Vibration

my41    -- 07-15-2022 @ 7:58 PM
  41 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe, has a vibration above 35mph, does not go away much when I press in on the clutch, feels faster and harder than a wheel out of balance. Gets worse if accelerating. Engine seems to Rev fine and smooth, any ideas? Also Tranny and clutch are rebuilt a few months ago and the vibration was there before.

Thanks alot!

This message was edited by my41 on 7-15-22 @ 8:27 PM

carcrazy    -- 07-15-2022 @ 9:04 PM
  A vibration as you describe could be due to either an out-of-balance part or a worn part. I would start by dynamically balancing each of the tire/wheel assemblies. One or more of the brake drums could have lost its balance weight. If after balancing the tires the vibration is still there, I would check the tires for runout to make they are round and concentric with the brake drums. Next, I would balance the tire/wheel assemblies while they are mounted on the car - some truck service shops can do this job.

If you still have the original crankshaft mounted fan on the engine and it has been replaced, it may not have been re-installed in the same location so it could be out of balance with the crankshaft. You can remove it and re-mount it 180 degrees away to see if the vibration goes away.

One or more of your wheel bearings may be going bad. To check for this raise each wheel off of the ground and rotate the tire/wheel by hand while feeling for roughness in the rotation motion.

There may be excessive wear or misalignment in the rear axle ring and pinion gears. Usually vibrations caused by this are more prominent on the overrun rather than when accelerating.

Hope you find the cause of your vibration and are able to fix it.

my41    -- 07-16-2022 @ 7:25 AM
  The tires are recently changed and balanced, brakes are squeeling. Thank you I'll start at the drums.

Thanks alot!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15811