Topic: charging

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-14-2022 @ 8:27 AM
  48 engine in a 40 coupe.
Just had generator rebuilt and matched to the voltage regulator, all new wiring.
Prior to rebuild I would only get a little more than halfway on voltage gauge. Car ran great, than only about 1/4 way on the gauge.
Fixed my gas leak problem y/day and fired it up. Still only get about 1/4 on the red. Took both back to the re-builder (3rd generation) today and he's going to test it several times today.
If after I reinstall and get same results does anyone have an idea where I should look next??
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 07-14-2022 @ 12:41 PM
  Have you actually checked the output of the generator when running? Dash gauge may be the culprit.

Did you polarize the generator at the regulator?

Not being a wise guy but be certain belt is fairly tight.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-14-2022 @ 7:07 PM
  Going to ck output when I get gen re-installed, yes, I did polorize and yes, the belt is tight.
Paul

40 Coupe    -- 07-15-2022 @ 6:20 AM
  The gauge is a voltmeter. The left red section is below 6.2V, the orange 6.2 to 7.1V, green is 7.1 to 8.25V and the right red is 8.5 to 9V .

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-20-2022 @ 10:23 AM
  Got the gen and reg back and installed. Re-builder says puttting out 7+ volts and 30 amps. Started it and basically same results.
Taking a break, too hot and leaving for Mexico Saturday.
My one recurring thought is there's something wrong with the new main harness (all harnesses were replaced in Nov).

Any other thoughts as I'm stumped.
Paul in CT

carcrazy    -- 07-20-2022 @ 3:45 PM
  You can monitor the generator's output in real time by mounting a small ammeter in a bracket that you locate below the instrument panel. Once you are convinced that the electrical system is functioning as it should, you can remove this auxiliary gauge and the mounting bracket.

rustedorrotting    -- 07-30-2022 @ 11:03 AM
  I have been a professional mechanic my whole life and from what you say, i would look to the chassis ground. If you don't have a GOOD ground on the cab, everything will be a little wonky. Don't just look at the ground wire and say it's there so it must be good. With the engine running put a voltmeter from the battery ground post to the ground on the cab. No voltage means not the problem. a quick check is to take a pair of jumper cables and connect from the ground post to the cab. if problem goes away it's the cable. i have seen this many times

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15807