Topic: Charging Problems:

fortyford    -- 05-27-2022 @ 3:47 AM
  For some reason I think I have charging issues on my 40.At idle i am getting about 6.24 at battery.At a much higher RPM say 1500 to 2000 I still am getting around 6.20 to 6.30 at battery.I was thinking I should get around at least say 7.00 or more at high RPM?I have new wiring,regulator and I had generator checked and they said it was good?What else is there to check?i am not getting a reading in the green on my battery gauge either at say 60 mph?

trjford8    -- 05-27-2022 @ 7:56 AM
  Make sure all your grounds are good and clean. Especially the one from the firewall to the motor.

JayChicago    -- 05-27-2022 @ 8:20 AM
  You are correct, at higher RPM should be about 7.2 volt.

I have read that a new, out-of-the-box, voltage regulator may or may not provide an accurate charging voltage. It may need to be adjusted. That is best done by an electrical shop with experience and proper gauges.

Edit: re-reading your post, you said at higher RPM measured 6.2-6.3 volt. That is just battery voltage. Sounds like it is not charging at all. That could be a bad regulator. But I'm quickly getting over my head now, so wait for replies from others with more knowledge. Best advice will come from Professor TomO.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 5-27-22 @ 8:31 AM

fortyford    -- 05-27-2022 @ 9:52 AM
  Jay,I stand corrected.I am seeing around 6.40 to no more than 6.50 at very high RPM at battery.

fortyford    -- 05-27-2022 @ 5:03 PM
  I had another good generator and switched out and I believe it is just as bad or worse.At very high RPM I am not getting but around 6.24 to 6.32.seems to be not charging at all.Now I have fully charged battery with a charger,does this have anything to do with not charging when car is running.What I am saying is battery has a totally full charge on it now?I think it is pretty clear I have a regulator problem?

This message was edited by fortyford on 5-28-22 @ 5:23 AM

fortyford    -- 05-30-2022 @ 5:14 AM
  I tryed this.Is this good or bad to do this.Problem is I went a little to far because my battery gauge at 60 MPH is showing at the red mark?I figured this is not good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHtXMTNUXA

TomO    -- 05-30-2022 @ 9:14 AM
  Do not try to adjust the voltage on your voltage regulator yourself. You need preclusion instruments to do this job.

I think that your problem is caused by corrosion on the contact points of the cutout in the regulator.

Try: Connect your voltmeter to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator, increase the rpm to about 1200 rpm and read the voltage. It should be around 7V.

If it is not, try connecting a jumper between field terminal and the armature terminal for a short while while reading the meter. Do not leave the jumper connected more than 1 minute or you can fry your generator. If it is around 7V your cutout points need cleaning.

Disconnect the battery, take the cover off of the voltage regulator and try spraying an electrical cleaner on the contacts of the cutout (the relay at the BAT terminal). Reconnect the battery and repeat the first test to see if that cured your problem. If not, disconnect the battery and use a fine (320 or F) emery paper. Fold a thin strip in half so that there is grit on both sides and draw it through the contacts. This should clean any corrosion off of the contacts.

Put the cover back on the regulator and reconnect the battery. Start the car and check the voltage. If it is not around 7V, find a generator repair shop near you and bring the generator and regulator there to have it checked out.

Tom

fortyford    -- 05-30-2022 @ 11:28 AM
  Thanks ,Tom.this has been a long going issue with this car ever since I had it.I don't think I have ever seen say over 7 at high idle.I t just always seems like just charging enough to keep up!I checked like you said at voltage regulator high idle and I am only getting around 6.40?Dang maybe I have two generators bad?I do have an extra ground wire run from generator to regulator mount screw,is this OK?I cranked my old 52 truck up and at high idle I am seeing 7.50 at battery/I have never seen that on my 40?

TomO    -- 05-31-2022 @ 6:52 AM
  The cutout relay should pick between 6.5V-7.0V from the generator. This usually happens above 1,000rpm.

Having a grounding wire from the generator case to the mounting of the regulator will not hurt anything.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-31-2022 @ 6:59 AM
  did you
polarize the regulator ?
to test the charging system. you could disconnect the regulator,
use a meter , one lead to the ARM terminal and one to ground,
now with engine running ground the field terminal for a split second and see if it charges higher,
if it does you have a regulator problem, or other issues,
never go by the dash gauge, buy a good meter, for testing
if it does not you have a generator problem
how are the brushes in the gen, are they arcing, ? short, dirty , comuntator corroded,
hope this helps, lease supply more information,, which helps us to diagnose
hope this helps, 37 Ragtopman

if you were to take the fan belt off you could motorize the generator, to see if the generator spins
[ TAKE CARE ] BECAREFULL,,,
take a lead from the battery to the arm terminal, use a heavy jumper lead, 10 gauge or more,
if it turns slowly the generator need to be cleaned or rebuilt, if it spins fast it sould be ok,

if you were to send both items to CERTIFIED AUTO in OHIO, they will check and repair,
and set it up to charge correctlly ask JEFF ot EARL
440 439 1100

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-1-22 @ 10:09 AM

fortyford    -- 05-31-2022 @ 3:26 PM
  Yes, I always polarize the regulator.OK I took the generator that had been on my car for years and he checked it as I waited and it had nothing!!I have a NOS military surplus generator that came from DC on my car now and believe it or not it is dead or weak also!At high idle I still am not seeing at least 7.0 everywhere I check.I am going to take it off and take to same man for him to check it also?Got a brand new regulator coming from NAPA tomorrow.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-09-2022 @ 10:22 AM
  CHARGING PROBLEMS
I was wondering if you have a battery disconnect switch on one of battery terminals ?
I had one on my 37 and found out that it would charge more with out the switch,
and the starter would turn over the engine faster,
I now disconnect the battery with a 1/2 inch wrench more work LESS PROBLEMS
just food for thought,
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman, Maine

TomO    -- 06-11-2022 @ 8:13 AM
  What voltage did you get when you used a jumper to connect the ARM terminal of the voltage regulator to the FLD terminal and raised the rpm to at least 1,220 rpm (about 25mph)?

Tom

fortyford    -- 06-11-2022 @ 10:59 AM
  I took my original generator to this shop near me and they checked it while I waited.It was doing nothing so I left it.two days later he called me and said he took it apart and only thing he found was it seemed like one of the brushes was stuck,so it is charging now.Installed it with new regulator and at high idle I am getting about 7.0 at battery.At about 50mph on the road my battery gauge reads right at the orange and green line?May be I am to picky but I still think I am losing voltage some where?Tom I will try your suggestion and get back with an update.

TomO    -- 06-12-2022 @ 9:32 AM
  There is no need to perform the ARM to FLD test now, your generator is charging. That test is only valid when your generator is not charging and you need to know if the problem is the generator or regulator.

The voltage at the dash unit may be lower than the voltage seen at the battery due to resistance in the gauge circuit or the gauge may be reading low. The gauge should have about 6.8V at the orange/ green line. You can check the accuracy of your gauge by connecting a meter to the input of the meter and driving 50mph.

The regulator MUST be set with accurate instruments and correct conditions. The way to check the regulator output is connect your meter to the BAT terminal of the regulator and increase the rpm of the engine while watching the meter. When the meter stops showing an increase in voltage, that is what your regulator is set to. If it is less than 7.2V, disconnect the battery, remove the regulator, take it to the shop that tested your generator and have him adjust the regulator. Re-install the regulator, connect the battery and you sho8uld be good to go.

Tom

fortyford    -- 06-12-2022 @ 2:26 PM
  Thanks Tom,I have a NOS battery gauge and may change it out to see where it reads or can I possibly check it before I install it to see what it reads?

TomO    -- 06-13-2022 @ 6:44 AM
  Please read paragraph 2 of my previous reply.

Tom

fortyford    -- 06-29-2022 @ 7:11 AM
  Ok,I got brave enough to change out the battery gauge with a NOS gauge.Would have been fairly easy but dang heater switch is in the way and I did not want to remove!I did test the new gauge before I went to all the trouble to change.At 60 mph the needle is in the middle of the green area.I am a happy camper now!I noticed these gauges have adjustments?Maybe I can fine tune the one I took out for a spare?Thanks Tom for all your help.

This message was edited by fortyford on 6-29-22 @ 7:29 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 09-25-2022 @ 9:53 AM
  Ragtopman or Tom- Years ago this is how I to tested a generator I had rebuilt. I learned to put it on the floor ; put my foot on it to hold; connect a battery cable to arm terminal , and then just touch it to the case; if it motored it was good. Being that I'm 85 + now; Please confirm if my memory is right about that?

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15701