Topic: 1940 radiator info tag

Carcheologist    -- 04-25-2022 @ 3:23 PM
  Noticed this tag on the back side of my extra '40 radiator and wanted to know if it held any significant information.
Per Kube's book, I didn't see any other identifying marks, such as "91A" stamped into the tank anywhere. Just curious about the info on the tag.

Carcheologist    -- 04-25-2022 @ 3:29 PM
  ...guess the photo would help!

kubes40    -- 04-25-2022 @ 4:41 PM
  Without seeing the remainder of the radiator, I'd hazard a guess that this is a later, replacement radiator. In other words, not installed upon the assembly line.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Carcheologist    -- 04-25-2022 @ 4:54 PM
  Kube,
The radiator looks just like the one pictured in your book, except is doesn't have the "91A" stamped into the top tank - just this brass tag soldered to the back of the top tank. It was removed from an original '40 half ton pickup instead of a passenger car. Don't know if that would have made any difference since it came out of a truck.

40 Coupe    -- 04-26-2022 @ 5:06 AM
  The tag was installed either by original Mfg. of the radiator or by a repair facility. Pick ups were considered commercial vehicles and not trucks. Parts book says the same radiator was used on the cars as the commercial vehicles. The 85HP and 60HP radiators are not the same. Kube may have more info.

kubes40    -- 04-26-2022 @ 6:31 AM
  Thanks for the additional information. I'm more than ever leaning toward "service part".
I have had numerous radiators with similar brass tags soldered to the tank(s). There were all either later service parts or radiators that had been repaired.
IF you plan on having the vehicle point judged, you should, with the inclusion of a knowledgeable judge, receive a deduction.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Carcheologist    -- 04-26-2022 @ 7:33 AM
  Thanks guys for your viewpoints. I don't plan on having my car point-judged; I'm far from that level of restoration. I thoroughly enjoy just getting as many details as "correct" on my car as realistically possible.

tweaslerd    -- 06-06-2022 @ 6:27 AM
  In general, if you go deep into the beginning, then the radiator is after all a product of some company. Accordingly, information about the manufacturer should be indicated there. When I bought the radiator, all the necessary information was indicated there. Since your radiator is already old enough, I would advise you to buy a new radiator here https://www.radiatoroutlet.co.uk/designer-radiators/vertical-radiators . After all, this is the thing that it is better not to use after the expiration of its useful life. I do not advise anyone to take risks in this case.

This message was edited by tweaslerd on 6-15-22 @ 9:19 AM

40 Coupe    -- 02-09-2023 @ 8:00 AM
  Not a 40 radiator compare the overflow tube on yours to where the overflow is on the 40 radiator shown in the restoration book.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15625