Topic: All-weather car cover suggestions

Carcheologist    -- 01-16-2022 @ 8:14 AM
  Looking for a quality, all-weather, durable car cover for my '40 2 door sedan. Unfortunately, my car is being stored outdoors under a steel carport for the time being. Cheap, light-duty covers just don't do the job as well as I would like, so hoping to get some feedback from others about other options. The main criteria is that it be as WATERPROOF as possible.
Thanks to all.

kubes40    -- 01-16-2022 @ 8:27 AM
  I'd like to offer my .02¢ here... while storing your car outdoors is problematic in itself, covering it can easily compound the inherent issues.
Trapping moisture beneath the cover is far worse than allowing the car to be exposed and breathe naturally. If you can keep the sun off of your car, that's perhaps the best thing to be done. Water and snow won't hurt the car very noticeably.
Trapping moisture will cause damage. The cover moving due to wind will most certainly scuff paint.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 01-16-2022 @ 8:56 AM
  I have to agree with Mike. I had a car stored outside with a "weather proof" car cover for the winter and when spring came, I was very disappointed with the condition of the car. Covers are better now than they were when I did it but they still damage the car.

I don't know where you live, but if you have a lot of snow, I would remove it as soon as you can. Snow can turn to ice that can damage the car. I would also clean the car on days that the weather is above freezing. Dirt absorbs moisture and can damage the paint.

Tom

Carcheologist    -- 01-16-2022 @ 9:36 AM
  Tom & Mike,
Good advice...think I'll go another route instead of a car cover.

hickvranek    -- 07-13-2022 @ 5:28 PM
  Haven’t you got a garage? I think it’s the best option, especially for an older car. Storing a car outside is always dangerous and can cause multiple issues, including rusting and rotting of the metallic parts, which is really not good.
You might also consider building a small carport with an insulated roof from carportaustralia.com.au – to keep most of the water and the sun away. It is a much better option than just storing the car outside. It is also better in terms of occupied space because carports are usually much more spacious and open. You can do whatever in this carport when the car is not there, and it is visually smaller.

This message was edited by hickvranek on 7-25-22 @ 2:22 AM

trjford8    -- 07-21-2022 @ 8:54 AM
  If your only temporarily storing the car under a carport you can buy some canvas type siding to attach to the poles of the carport. Do a Google search. I would rent a storage space if it was me to keep the car out of the weather.

RaphaelFlowers    -- 10-11-2022 @ 4:36 PM
  Actually, a car cover has always been a reasonable option. My brother got a car cover honda civic 2 years ago. It still looks great, actually. He bought it when they moved to a new house with no garage, and a carport was not an option. So, he came up with the idea of buying a car cover. Btw, the cover is red, which is why I like it so much. Somehow it's still colorful. So, I think that a car cover is always a better option. Anyway, keep us updated on your choice. Let me know if I should ask my brother about the car cover company. BW

This message was edited by RaphaelFlowers on 10-16-22 @ 4:07 PM

Drbrown    -- 11-20-2022 @ 9:53 AM
  I agree with not using a cover directly in contact with car finish. A wind-resistant tenting seems best and one doesn't need to fold-up a cover for each use. I drive my Ford in the cold winter in upstate NY periodically when pavements are dry to keep it limbered-up, so easy access is beneficial.

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2022 @ 11:40 AM
  I will agree with Mike and Tom. A car cover is good for very temporary protection from the elements, but causes considerably more damage than protection when used for longer periods of time. The only long term use advisable would be in a climate controlled, ventilated garage.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15431