Topic: What do these numbers mean?

Carcheologist    -- 12-28-2021 @ 3:40 PM
  Helping a friend today who just bought a VERY original, unmolested '40 Tudor Sedan and while we were looking the car over we found this interesting set of numbers stamped on the sloped part of the firewall just above the voltage regulator. I've never seen any other '40 Fords with markings like this. My '40 Tudor sure doesn't have them. Any idea what they represent or what they mean?
Appreciate any feedback.
Mike in Texas

kubes40    -- 12-28-2021 @ 4:13 PM
  Mike,
There have been a number of variations of your numbers, that is, numbers / letters stamped into the dash panel on '40 Fords.
While there are numerous conjectures as to what they may signify, there is to date, no documentation that could explain this phenomenon.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Carcheologist    -- 12-28-2021 @ 4:49 PM
  Kube,
Possibly this was done at one assembly plant for some reason. Perhaps each plant had their own special identification markings. My '40 Tudor has the letters "KC" about 1/2" tall stamped into the firewall on the passenger side of the firewall adjacent to the right hood hinge. I would assume this meant the car was built at the Kansas City Ford plant. My dad retired from the KC plant and when we saw that marking, we knew we had to buy this car!

cub 45    -- 12-30-2021 @ 6:44 AM
  My numbers are dead center are 16225D.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-30-2021 @ 9:12 AM
  hi Carcheologist
that L could be the LOS ANGLES ASSEMBLY PLANT,
the number could be FORD keeping track of how many cars are made in that plant ?
I have a --------- that uses the L for LA assembly plant
this is my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman, Maine

Carcheologist    -- 12-30-2021 @ 9:20 AM
  37Ragtopman,
I guess it's possible it could have been built in LA. It would be very interesting to know what those numbers meant. The car was purchased from a man in Tulsa, OK, so who knows?

kubes40    -- 12-30-2021 @ 9:31 AM
  That could be possible but HIGHLY unlikely. The flaws in that theory, as I see it, is that so few cars have these numbers. Also, there is no pattern to these numbers that has been found. Also, there are and were a lot easier ways to keep track of how many cars were built at any given plant. In fact, I have the records that break that down by month / assembly plant / model.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 12-31-2021 @ 8:24 AM
  Ill give a guess.
Years ago when the engine was replaced with a rebuild some states wanted identification numbers on the engine. Original Ford production engines did not have any identification numbers. If a shop rebuilt and replaced the engine the block would be stamped with numbers. Typically the numbers did not match the serial number of the vehicle. It is POSSIBLE the shop also stamped the body with the same engine number. Engine numbers were usually stamped on the flat surface adjacent to the intake manifold. Some rebuilders had tags they attached to the engine block. Ford authorized engine rebuilders as well as offering their own engine rebuilds through their dealers. The Ford assembly plants did not identify or stamp the body.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 12-31-21 @ 8:26 AM

cub 45    -- 01-01-2022 @ 5:53 AM
  That sounds possible but my no are about half inch and struck deep, i would think that applied after the build that the fire wall would be some what caved in.

kurt

kubes40    -- 01-01-2022 @ 6:23 AM
  Cub, you are correct. The numbers I have seen, although in various locations, were struck with a die, not hand stamped. This would require the sheet metal to be "backed up" , not something that a rebuilder would be able to do.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15386