Topic: Heater questions

2manybikes    -- 11-24-2021 @ 11:46 AM
  I assume this was once an electric heater. There is what appears to be a rheostat mounted under the dash lip below the ignition switch. Is it worth tryingto fix it? Any info, even historical would be appreciated.

carcrazy    -- 11-24-2021 @ 12:41 PM
  This is a Southwind gasoline powered heater. These were available as aftermarket options on cars during the 1930's and 1940's. The great advantage to these heaters is that they provide heat sooner than either the hot air or hot water types of heaters do. If it were mine, I would rebuild or have it rebuilt and use it in a daily driver.

2manybikes    -- 11-24-2021 @ 2:15 PM
  Thanks for your informative reply. This old car is full of surprises! Are there service providers that rebuild them? Do you have any idea what the switch under the ignition switch might have done originally?

carcrazy    -- 11-24-2021 @ 2:56 PM
  I do not know what the rheostat switch under you instrument panel was used to control. It could have been used simply to control the fan speed of the heater.

The South Wind heaters were manufactured by Stewart-Warner. You might be able to do a Google search to find someone who provides parts or services for the heaters.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-24-2021 @ 7:33 PM
  that rheostat is for the dash lights, not the heater. turn on the head lights and move this and the dash lights will get dimmer or brighter--may have to move the switch thru the arc a few times to make it work--cleans off the wire resistor

1931 Flamingo    -- 11-25-2021 @ 6:11 AM
  GOOGLE is your friend.

Search SOUTH WIND HEATER, lots of parts and rebuild services available.
Paul in CT

2manybikes    -- 11-28-2021 @ 7:05 PM
  alanwoodieman: Thank you for explaining the function of the rheostst as well as mentioning the likely need to cycle the switch to clean it.

1931 Flamingo: GOOGLE seems to be a fair weather friend! My first search did not bring up much other than e-Bay. I also asked to see if any of the other members had used a supplier they might be willing to share. Lots of good info on here.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15313